The Student Room Group

Post 18

Hi everyone, I'm a 17 year old student who is currently doing her A-levels in Philosophy, English Literature and History. I'll be honest, I've always wanted to pursue law but I'm not too sure what type of law. I also think that I've not been properly equipped with how to approach this near approaching stage of my life. I'm not even too sure of the uni I want to go to. How do I figure all these things and more out , combining studying with finding work/work experience and finding things that will put me in the best position for university ? P.S I'll be going to year 13 in Sep 23 and I've been to do a personal statement , not too sure what to put on it.
Reply 1
You have two options:

1. apply to read law at university, complete your degree and sit the required examinations to qualify as a barrister or a solicitor; or
2. apply to read a non-law subject and then complete the two part process to qualify.

Hopefully the diagram in this link will help.

https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/sqe/

My additional advice is:

1. get the best training contract at the best law firm you can and then:

2 a - if you are motivated by money work every hour there is until you make it to partner; or

2 b - if you are not motivated by money spend a couple of years at the law firm and then get a job as an in-house lawyer. It is less stressfula and more enjoyable.

Am I qualified to give this advice? I qualified as a solicitor in 1987 and I have worked in private practice and as an in-house lawyer. I am about to retire and return to university - which I why I am reading these posts!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending