The Student Room Group

About applying to medicine

Can I get in if I’ve got 6s and 7s at gcse and what uni will let like will Manchester Nottingham Birmingham Sheffield do I don’t think like imperial Cambridge ucl Oxford will???
You are making significant assumptions with no basis. You are assuming firstly that there are "better" and "less good" medical schools and secondly that the "better" ones are harder to get into or have higher requirements. This is not how it works for medicine.

All medical schools are accredited by the GMC and the GMC considers them all equal. The NHS is the only provider of graduate medical training posts, and likewise take the GMCs stance that all medical schools are equal. The NHS goes as far as to blind recruiters from your medical school to ensure there is no bias from where you went to medical school.

Additionally, medical schools all have different shortlisting methodologies and you should not be assuming they use a singular approach and that some have higher requirements than others. Of the medical schools you listed, Imperial and UCL do not score GCSEs and only have minimum requirements for English language (and maths for UCL). By contrast Birmingham does score GCSEs and weights them heavily and Manchester reviews applications holistically and will factor in GCSEs - Nottingham also scores GCSEs although are more UCAT heavy.

So your assumptions would have led you to ruling out two medical schools where your GCSEs wouldn't have been a factor at all, and applying to one fairly GCSE heavy medical school and two others where it certainly will be a factor.

Part of applying to medicine is actually to stop relying on assumptions and unverifiable information and doing the research to come to an evidence based choice of which medical schools to apply to, based on the publicly accessible information all these medical schools make abundantly available to choose those you would have the best profile for and most chance of being invited to interview and hence potentially get an offer.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Brianstudy01
Can I get in if I’ve got 6s and 7s at gcse and what uni will let like will Manchester Nottingham Birmingham Sheffield do I don’t think like imperial Cambridge ucl Oxford will???

UCL and Imperial only need grade 6 in Eng lang and maybe maths i forgot
Manchester and notts you need around 7 grade 7s and above
birmingham scores gcses they have a checker but i dont think anyone really know how accurate that is
sheffield need 5 gcses grade7 and above
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending