The Student Room Group

Can i do Medicine?

Hi, so i am doing bio, psychology and economics for my A levels, and I have applied for EPQ for year 2.
I know that most universities require chemistry AND biology to do at A levels to get into uni, i tried to change economics to chemistry in November but was denied.
I am predicted AAA with strong references, but i am still worried because of this mistake as i was told i will be greatly disadvantaged, can i still get into medicine?
Reply 1
I don’t work at any university but I have experience in applying for medicine. I know there are around 16 medical schools that don’t require chemistry, however I believe you still need to have done another science or maths with that. I don’t think psychology will count. I find it very strange your school didn’t allow you to tag onto the chemistry course! Sorry but I don’t think it’s possible. If you really want to do medicine you’re going to need to pick up another A-level which is probably going to require you to take a gap year, which is by no means the end of the world.
Original post by Lightrevie
Hi, so i am doing bio, psychology and economics for my A levels, and I have applied for EPQ for year 2.
I know that most universities require chemistry AND biology to do at A levels to get into uni, i tried to change economics to chemistry in November but was denied.
I am predicted AAA with strong references, but i am still worried because of this mistake as i was told i will be greatly disadvantaged, can i still get into medicine?

There are 10 medical schools you could potentially apply to - see this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

They are (in order listed in the above link):
Southampton
Plymouth
Manchester
Sheffield
Kent and Medway
Leicester
Keele
Lancaster
UEA
Newcastle

Provided you meet the subject requirements listed on their webpages summarised in the link above, they don't care what subjects you are taking. It's a tick box - they see if you meet that requirement, tick it, and move on. There are no "bonus points" for doing chemistry if they don't require it explicitly. Do double check the requirements are still as listed in that thread by referring to the webpage for those unis, to verify that they haven't changed - as they can change year to year.

There is some disadvantage in the sense that you have a much narrower range of medical schools to choose between when applying, so when you begin accounting for factors like GCSE performance, UCAT performance etc, you may find you have fewer viable options. However for the ones that are viable options you'll have as good a chance as anyone else. You will need to review the shortlisting methodologies for all of those and assess your profile against those methodologies to determine the four which you score the most against their shortlisting methodologies and hence have the best chance of getting an interview at.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
There are 10 medical schools you could potentially apply to - see this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

They are (in order listed in the above link):
Southampton
Plymouth
Manchester
Sheffield
Kent and Medway
Leicester
Keele
Lancaster
UEA
Newcastle

Provided you meet the subject requirements listed on their webpages summarised in the link above, they don't care what subjects you are taking. It's a tick box - they see if you meet that requirement, tick it, and move on. There are no "bonus points" for doing chemistry if they don't require it explicitly. Do double check the requirements are still as listed in that thread by referring to the webpage for those unis, to verify that they haven't changed - as they can change year to year.

There is some disadvantage in the sense that you have a much narrower range of medical schools to choose between when applying, so when you begin accounting for factors like GCSE performance, UCAT performance etc, you may find you have fewer viable options. However for the ones that are viable options you'll have as good a chance as anyone else. You will need to review the shortlisting methodologies for all of those and assess your profile against those methodologies to determine the four which you score the most against their shortlisting methodologies and hence have the best chance of getting an interview at.

Thank you, I am focusing on work experience and UCAT for now.

For work experience, is it fine to do single work experience at a carehome or a hospital, and for the rest do virtual work experience? I know work experience is important but does the quantity of work experience/ volunteering matter?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Lightrevie
Thank you, I am considering Leicester, Sheffield, Manchester and Keele and for my 5th, Biomedical Science. I am focusing on work experience and UCAT for now.

For work experience, is it fine to do single work experience at a carehome or a hospital, and for the rest do virtual work experience? I know work experience is important but does the quantity of work experience/ volunteering matter?

Read the work experience sticky thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6929328

Generally quality of your reflection trumps quantity of work experience. However medical schools may stipulate a minimum quantity they expect you to have completed, so ensure you meet the specific requirements of any medical schools you are applying to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending