The Student Room Group

A level maths large data set?

Hi, I'm doing Edexcel A level maths and was just doing a stats past paper and got a question that was like: "Using your knowledge of the large data set suggest a city that may have had this wind speed" or something like that. I've heard of the large data set before, but we usually get given some of the data from it to answer questions about. Are we given the data set in the exam or was this just a weird question? Should I be memorising the data set?
Reply 1
Original post by maisiem448
Hi, I'm doing Edexcel A level maths and was just doing a stats past paper and got a question that was like: "Using your knowledge of the large data set suggest a city that may have had this wind speed" or something like that. I've heard of the large data set before, but we usually get given some of the data from it to answer questions about. Are we given the data set in the exam or was this just a weird question? Should I be memorising the data set?

You don't need to memorise the data set, but you do need to know things about it. For example, where are the places in the UK where the data is being taken from? Why would Heathrow in 1987 be unusual compared to other locations at other times? Cloud cover is measured in Oktas - what does that mean, what is an Okta? And so on.

You will definitely be given an extract from the data if you need to do any calculations, but you need to be aware of the context.
Reply 2
Original post by Pangol
You don't need to memorise the data set, but you do need to know things about it.hi For example, where are the places in the UK where the data is being taken from? Why would Heathrow in 1987 be unusual compared to other locations at other times? Cloud cover is measured in Oktas - what does that mean, what is an Okta? And so on.

You will definitely be given an extract from the data if you need to do any calculations, but you need to be aware of the context.

hi why would Heathrow in 1987 be unusual compared to other locations at other times?
Reply 3
Original post by user493
hi why would Heathrow in 1987 be unusual compared to other locations at other times?

Something happened in the south of England in late 1987 that anyone teaching this course should have told you about.

Quick Reply

Latest