The Student Room Group
polythenepam
Hi I have to send some papers back to england from france, so in the address do i write england for the country or angleterre?

thanks

Both. Write the England in brackets.

Can't go wrong.
Reply 2
Either should work, write both if you're not convinced.
Reply 3
I generally address in English, but I suppose it makes more sense to do so in the native language, since they will be the ones conveying it internationally to the domestic postal service (in this case, Royal Mail). Both will work, obviously.

Personally, I dumb it down a bit in most countries, writing 'Great Britain' instead of 'United Kingdom', since I assume the former is considerably better understood abroad.
I would personally write Angleterre, simply because the people in charge of getting it to the right country are going to be French.
Reply 5
I'm sure the french post office have people who can read English, but consider that once it gets to Britain it doesn't matter.
I usually whack Royaume-Uni on the envelope, as I obssessively relate to myself as UK-ish.
I would write Royaume-Uni and United Kingdom as opposed to England but then that's my preference.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with what you write. I've sent letters before now with no house number just a name, street and town. I'm sure the postman hated me but it arrived.

Latest

Trending

Trending