The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vicvic38
I wouldn't bother working ahead on these (only things I would do is any work teachers set and then ensuring you know all the GCSE maths curriculum.)

Definitely check out Khan academy for stuff on mathematics.

No avoid Khan Academy - it uses different [and wrong for the UK] terminology
Original post by Muttley79
No avoid Khan Academy - it uses different [and wrong for the UK] terminology

No it doesn't? Unless you have a particular area of dispute? As a mathmo I've found it to be a good resource, and that fundamentally our terminology are broadly similar.

I would also argue that, even if there are some glaring areas where concepts are referred to by different labels: the concepts behind it are still the same. It doesn't matter to me if my lecturer says epimorphism or surjective automorphism, injective or 1-1, or bicontinuous homorphism or homeomorphism. The concepts are still the same. Once you rematch any labels, you end up knowing the concepts and a couple ways to talks about them. Equivalent definitions are very helpful.
Original post by 1234512
for maths watch tlmaths on youtube. for chemistry, I highly recommend allery chemistry. as for biology, there's Miss Estruch. Watch the videos first explaining the content and make notes, then go through the notes until you somewhat know the content. after that go to physics and maths tutor and do exam-style questions on that topic. don't be discouraged if you're getting the questions wrong, instead, let that motivate you to do more. year 12 is very important as your teachers will be giving predicted grades for your unis. also if you're applying to med (just assuming based on your subjects) you need more than just grades. plan work experience by emailing a bunch of doctors on https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/our-services/find-consultant. most might not respond but you need to email as many doctors until you can find one to shadow. do community work/ charity events if available.

You can do all these things and still enjoy your summer holiday, don't let people convince you otherwise. If you do this i will assure you that you will get A* predictions

Thank you so much!! This was the comment I was looking for
Original post by rebelw
nah just get a life and learn the a level content at school with everyone else

I’m not aiming for your grades…
Original post by bunsenburner92
Thank you so much!! This was the comment I was looking for

all good! if chemistry is too much of a problem consider also looking at the chemrevise website, it really breaks the information down to digestible bits
No it doesn't? Unless you have a particular area of dispute? As a mathmo I've found it to be a good resource, and that fundamentally our terminology are broadly similar.

I'm talking about the Maths version - there are so many better webstes out there - it's not helpful to learn 'different' terminology that the exam board may mark wrong.
Yes - there are glaring examples - US define a trapezium, for example, in a different way.
I didn't realise that this user was going straight from Khan Academy to the exam! It's such a shame she won't actually study the course she's being examined on.

I fail to see how you can define a trapezium as anything aside from a convex quadrelateral with one pair of parallel sides. Besides, I should be worried if an A Level pupil didn't know how to define a trapezium? Any definition they use will be equivalent, at any rate, as I said.

"It's not helpful to learn different terminology the exam board may mark wrong" why not? Sure, if the user was less intelligent, perhaps prone to confusion, but I have given her the benefit of the doubt and assumed she's broadly intelligent. She will be able to pick up skills and a broader understanding of what is happening, which will help her understand her course better (even if she has multiple words for the same thing.)

I used Khan Academy to no end during my Y11 summer (between all the other stuff I did.) Got a head start on vectors and differentiation. At no point did I feel like I was confused or misled by that study, and I appreciated that it was not focused towards an exam I was studying for.

Anyway, if there's a better site for the broad study of mathematics that you could meaningfully aim at a year 11 then I'm all ears.

@bunsenburner92 Also, if you're looking to go into Chemistry or Maths, I might be able to recommend some good books on Group Theory that are generally accessible to someone who has not done any higher mathematics.

Thank you! That would be amazing if you could recommend them. If there are aspects which are a little advanced I could always ask my Dad because he’s a maths teacher.
Ignore that user, I (surprisingly) do know what a trapezium is…
I

There are loads: Dr Frost, MathsMathsEasy, TL, Mr Barton, etc etc all FAR better than Khan Academy.

I really would avoid Khan Academy ... do UKMT papers, read Maths books, NRIch, Underground Maths ...
actually I’m doing the same thing- I actually have a weird trait where I always want to be ahead of everyone in anything. 💀💀 it’s actually funny but that’s the thing that motivates me the most 😭👍 ok. Some people may say to take a break in the summer before doing your A-levels but even though that’s good advice- I can’t exactly do that. I have an unhealthy obsession with studying and learning. If i start studying in the morning, (if I don’t have a timer or anyone bothering me) i will study for 8-9 hours straight without going to the bathroom, eating and (i usually have a waterbottle next me) and leaving my seat. I start at daytime and when someone bothers me at night, it is really shocking how the window is dark. As I said- UNHEALTHY. Because I have this SUPER DUPER intense focus that it makes me forget to eat or need the bathroom. BUT- I hate revising. HATE. I love studying but HATE revising. It’s always pissing me off- 💩 the thing is that I ABSOLUTELY ADORE learning new concepts (usually by myself but in school is fine as well), it’s literally my hearts strongest desire, to learn something I never heard of. That’s why in my “free” time, I usually watch university lectures and it fascinates me. This study obsession might sound obsessive to some people and amazing to others BUT I would not want ANYONE to have this as well. Not only do I think of studying (whatever I learnt) 24/7, I also dream about studying when I’m sleeping. 💀🧍🏻*♀️Ik UR PROBABLY DISCOMBOBULATED RN. It’s probably lucid dreaming but idk 🤷*♀️. I really would not want to pose ‘cOnDiTiOn’ onto anyone, I have actually realized how unhealthy my situation is: if I’m studying- I’m forgetting the world exists and any noise will startle me and make my soul jump out of my body, and when I’m not studying- I only think about studying and I study in my brain- and when I’m thinking about studying, I feel a lot of guilt build up inside of me that I’m not learning or revising anything and then I have a chain of overthinking that usually ends up with my parents will have nothing about me that they could love and they couldn’t be prideful of me and I won’t be able to meet their high expectations of me and they will be utterly disappointed, embarrassed in front of other people and the only thread that connects me to them will be cut. Omg why the hell am I rambling 💀💀💀 I didn’t even notice🧍🏻*♀️🧍🏻*♀️🧍🏻*♀️🧍🏻*♀️ This was supposed to be about someone studying in the summer and I started to write an essay that probably nobody gives a crap about 💀👏👏 ok whatever I’m going to study now 😆 PFTTTT HAVE A GREAT DAY HO HO HO 🎅🎅🎅
Original post by KamillaMammadova
actually I’m doing the same thing- I actually have a weird trait where I always want to be ahead of everyone in anything. 💀💀 it’s actually funny but that’s the thing that motivates me the most 😭👍 ok. Some people may say to take a break in the summer before doing your A-levels but even though that’s good advice- I can’t exactly do that. I have an unhealthy obsession with studying and learning. If i start studying in the morning, (if I don’t have a timer or anyone bothering me) i will study for 8-9 hours straight without going to the bathroom, eating and (i usually have a waterbottle next me) and leaving my seat. I start at daytime and when someone bothers me at night, it is really shocking how the window is dark. As I said- UNHEALTHY. Because I have this SUPER DUPER intense focus that it makes me forget to eat or need the bathroom. BUT- I hate revising. HATE. I love studying but HATE revising. It’s always pissing me off- 💩 the thing is that I ABSOLUTELY ADORE learning new concepts (usually by myself but in school is fine as well), it’s literally my hearts strongest desire, to learn something I never heard of. That’s why in my “free” time, I usually watch university lectures and it fascinates me. This study obsession might sound obsessive to some people and amazing to others BUT I would not want ANYONE to have this as well. Not only do I think of studying (whatever I learnt) 24/7, I also dream about studying when I’m sleeping. 💀🧍🏻*♀️Ik UR PROBABLY DISCOMBOBULATED RN. It’s probably lucid dreaming but idk 🤷*♀️. I really would not want to pose ‘cOnDiTiOn’ onto anyone, I have actually realized how unhealthy my situation is: if I’m studying- I’m forgetting the world exists and any noise will startle me and make my soul jump out of my body, and when I’m not studying- I only think about studying and I study in my brain- and when I’m thinking about studying, I feel a lot of guilt build up inside of me that I’m not learning or revising anything and then I have a chain of overthinking that usually ends up with my parents will have nothing about me that they could love and they couldn’t be prideful of me and I won’t be able to meet their high expectations of me and they will be utterly disappointed, embarrassed in front of other people and the only thread that connects me to them will be cut. Omg why the hell am I rambling 💀💀💀 I didn’t even notice🧍🏻*♀️🧍🏻*♀️🧍🏻*♀️🧍🏻*♀️ This was supposed to be about someone studying in the summer and I started to write an essay that probably nobody gives a crap about 💀👏👏 ok whatever I’m going to study now 😆 PFTTTT HAVE A GREAT DAY HO HO HO 🎅🎅🎅

kamilla i must say- i'm stunned.... the ho ho ho at the end.... god you're incredible.

help I’m scared 😭😭
help I’m scared 😭😭

im not sure whether to cry or laugh- i just know they'd ace history or re
Original post by dahlia06
im not sure whether to cry or laugh- i just know they'd ace history or re

just cry while laughing tbh HO HO HO :> oh at least im going to start y12 at the age of 14 and imma graduate when im 16 :> hehehehehhe i think i skipped two years but i still think im dumb tbh
(edited 1 year ago)
just cry while laughing tbh HO HO HO :> oh at least im going to start y12 at the age of 14 and imma graduate when im 16 :> hehehehehhe i think i skipped two years but i still think im dumb tbh

i love your personality. THE HO HO HO NAH, this is too funny.
good idea? bad idea? aiming for top grades next year, and I’ll be bored if I don’t do some form of school work

Absolutely do it. I did it and never looked back. Learnt all of A level maths in that time. So when it came to term time, instead of doing 4 AS levels like everyone else, it felt more like only doing 3. I then went on to do 5 a levels. So it’s a good idea to start early. You won’t regret it
How long ago was that?
Original post by Ano999901
Absolutely do it. I did it and never looked back. Learnt all of A level maths in that time. So when it came to term time, instead of doing 4 AS levels like everyone else, it felt more like only doing 3. I then went on to do 5 a levels. So it’s a good idea to start early. You won’t regret it
How long ago was that?

Started AS in 2014
It was much easier to do more than 3 when they were modular
Started AS in 2014
It was much easier to do more than 3 when they were modular

Nah even if it was now, I’d smash it out the park. Some people are just capable. My year 13 I did 5 A2 and a whole A level of further maths. So practically 6
(edited 1 year ago)
Believe me you wouldn't - the questions have been ramped up too.
Nah even if it was now, I’d smash it out the park. Some people are just capable

Latest