The Student Room Group

Would you recommend studying a level content in year 11 summer

Need

Scroll to see replies

Oh hell no dude.

Relax, seeing A level content can be confusing [depending on what you want to do]. It's better to keep relearning what you learnt at GCSE to keep the memory sharp as for most A level's you'll be needing it, and it's better knowing something you're sure of rather than coming up with the wrong concepts.
I did for AS maths. (During the ending of summer). Got 96% on my first test. :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I did for AS maths. (During the ending of summer). Got 96% on my first test. :tongue:

Respect. ****, I'm doing a2 right now in June, I need to relax. I'll follow what you did except later in the months like July or August, probably do fm papers or just problem solving to improve my skills
Original post by mgcgian047
Respect. ****, I'm doing a2 right now in June, I need to relax. I'll follow what you did except later in the months like July or August, probably do fm papers or just problem solving to improve my skills

I’m just a sweat that had a little too much interest.

It’s not a race, don’t forget. The classes I had attended felt very boring because I already knew how to do most stuff. This can be a negative thing

Just make sure you do it lightly. And if you mean like topic by papers, then sure.
No, I would recommend gathering up revision resources to look for your subjects and maybe watching YouTube videos of how people revised for the subjects you studied. That's about it.
It's been a long and hard year. Don't get overwhelmed with sixth form before you've even started it.
i personally did and didnt find it beneficial at all. i remember doing it for chemistry and it didnt help because i forgot what id studied lol. if you get your textbooks before the start of lessons you can read over them a bit but dont full on study its useless.
No, just enjoy the break (which you won't have anywhere as much of in the summer after year 12). All I did in the summer of year 11 was print of and glance over specifications
Yes you do. To put it bluntly, if you’re doing any of the sciences or maths..Get started now!! You will regret not doing anything in the summer and do you try and take some breaks but use your time wisely in the summer. I was a straight 9 Student at GCSE and I chose biochem in maths but now I’m getting DDD. You will not understand how big the jump from GCSE to A-level until you reach your first week, please try and get ahead of the content. I recommend finishing at least the first three chapters of maths because they are pretty easy, all of stats can be done by yourself and mechanics chapter 1,2 u can do. For biology get through the first module and for chemistry first make sure you understand everything from GCSEs and then finish the first module if you can… Chemistry is the most hardest you might find it difficult to complete by yourself so watch: BioRach, MaChemGuy and TLMaths. You are immensely regret not doing any work in the summer don’t do what I did
Original post by Miacoolface2004
Yes you do. To put it bluntly, if you’re doing any of the sciences or maths..Get started now!! You will regret not doing anything in the summer and do you try and take some breaks but use your time wisely in the summer. I was a straight 9 Student at GCSE and I chose biochem in maths but now I’m getting DDD. You will not understand how big the jump from GCSE to A-level until you reach your first week, please try and get ahead of the content. I recommend finishing at least the first three chapters of maths because they are pretty easy, all of stats can be done by yourself and mechanics chapter 1,2 u can do. For biology get through the first module and for chemistry first make sure you understand everything from GCSEs and then finish the first module if you can… Chemistry is the most hardest you might find it difficult to complete by yourself so watch: BioRach, MaChemGuy and TLMaths. You are immensely regret not doing any work in the summer don’t do what I did

You will not understand how immense the job is from GCSE to A-level is. If you don’t do at least three hours of work every day once school starts again for you you will not pass!!! Trust this is what happened to me

That’s not true. It depends on the person. Just because it has happened to you, doesn’t mean this will also happen to the OP.

I think it’s unnecessary for OP to be revising A Level content they have no understanding of as of now. It’s not beneficial, especially if they will be learning it anyways.

OP just read around your subject and know what revision resources you will use, and that’s it.
Original post by miacoolface2004
biorach, machemguy and tlmaths.

the best ever trio on YouTube.

Prove me wrong.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GCSE_Rockstar32
That’s not true. It depends on the person. Just because it has happened to you, doesn’t mean this will also happen to the OP.

I think it’s unnecessary for OP to be revising A Level content they have no understanding of as of now. It’s not beneficial, especially if they will be learning it anyways.

OP just read around your subject and know what revision resources you will use, and that’s it.

What year are you in? I dont k about soft subjects but the science and maths are rlly hard. Idk if you want to lazy around and not do work thats on you. If i could change time I would instantly turn back and finish the work-so would ALOT of my friends. Yeah it might depend on person but when i mean i was a straight 9 student, i mean it- just bc you did well in year 11 doesnt mean AT ALL you will do well at a levels. Unless your confident your really smart then thats on you. Seriously think of it like this: yr 11 summer u have 3 months off, most of it your at home bc of corona anyways-instead of scrolling through ig and tiktok all day- do about 2 hours of studying…its really not that stressful. Bc you can absolutely do nothing this summer and “enjoy it” **** up your 12 and spend year 12 summer catching up and maybe even **** your year 13 summer bc you have to gap year. I am not doing to scare anyone but to put things into perspective…this if your aiming got As. If your aiming for Bs/Cs and dont want to uni, thats your problem and choice. If u want to be a doctor or engineer or a hard course at uni, you need to start putting the work in. A relaxed study session with no pressure in summer will mean you will be less stressed in year 12. By learning the wrong content:

1. Go on web/email teacher fort your spec
2.buy all the textbooks/go z library to download online copies
3.learn the first few chapters….these are usually really easy to understand and you can’t go wrong by learning the wrong content
4.watch videos on PMT

I k a kid guy in year 11 who is also having fun and going out w his mates finish is PURE MATHS alevel in 2 WEEKs. Bc he didn’t want to waste time. Grow up and start prioritising. Some of you still haven’t finished your gcse spec yet..finish that first
This is what i said too…hahaha you do that….xoxo love GCSE are nothing like ALEVELS
I just finished A-levels (biology, chemistry and maths with predicted grades A*A*A got 9s in each at gcse) and I would say don’t do too much (maybe just 1-2 hours per subject per week). In first year I knew the whole of AS pure maths so i was only doing 1-2hrs a week extra work and not really paying attention on class despite this i got 80s in tests. This made the jump to year 2 more difficult, I felt so defeated constantly which I wasn’t used to. It was an awful time to feel this way as I was trying to pick universities and I was worried that I would have to give up on my dream course if my maths let me down. I started paying more attention in class and put in more than the expected amount of effort in out of class (5-8 hrs a week out of class) and eventually I got to the position where my average for the year was 91% (hopefully moving my A prediction up to an A*) but trust me when I say there were a lot of tears along the way. Quite a few of us did gcse further maths (basically AS pure with a few extra bits) and friends of mine who didn’t put the extra time began doing really badly and never brought their marks back up (ended up getting grade Cs to Es in the last few assessments).

I was given some summer work for my A-levels this varied in each subject but was basically some exercises followed by a test. I 100% think it was beneficial but it was definitely not trying to get us to learn the whole course or even part of it before we started it was mainly consolidating and our gcse knowledge and building on it a little bit. This is why I would recommend the headstart cgp books - they cover some new content without going fully into the A-level standard of detail so you can go into A-levels confident but leave the A-level teaching to the teachers. If you get the cgp books try learning the content in the the sections then go back and make yourself a little section test by doing the questions at the bottom of each page.

If you haven’t finished your GCSEs yet do that then try give yourself a full set of papers in the subjects that your taken - if you’re happy with the grade move onto A-level stuff if not work on your weaknesses at gcse. I’m still going through A-level content even though I finished college over a month ago now

I hope you have a great summer and good luck with your results and starting A-levels :colondollar:
What year are you in? I dont k about soft subjects but the science and maths are rlly hard. Idk if you want to lazy around and not do work thats on you. If i could change time I would instantly turn back and finish the work-so would ALOT of my friends. Yeah it might depend on person but when i mean i was a straight 9 student, i mean it- just bc you did well in year 11 doesnt mean AT ALL you will do well at a levels. Unless your confident your really smart then thats on you. Seriously think of it like this: yr 11 summer u have 3 months off, most of it your at home bc of corona anyways-instead of scrolling through ig and tiktok all day- do about 2 hours of studying…its really not that stressful. Bc you can absolutely do nothing this summer and “enjoy it” **** up your 12 and spend year 12 summer catching up and maybe even **** your year 13 summer bc you have to gap year. I am not doing to scare anyone but to put things into perspective…this if your aiming got As. If your aiming for Bs/Cs and dont want to uni, thats your problem and choice. If u want to be a doctor or engineer or a hard course at uni, you need to start putting the work in. A relaxed study session with no pressure in summer will mean you will be less stressed in year 12. By learning the wrong content:

1. Go on web/email teacher fort your spec
2.buy all the textbooks/go z library to download online copies
3.learn the first few chapters….these are usually really easy to understand and you can’t go wrong by learning the wrong content
4.watch videos on PMT

I k a kid guy in year 11 who is also having fun and going out w his mates finish is PURE MATHS alevel in 2 WEEKs. Bc he didn’t want to waste time. Grow up and start prioritising. Some of you still haven’t finished your gcse spec yet..finish that first

I'm in Year 12, studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ, so I do believe that I can have an input in this discussion.

There are a lot of errors with what you have been saying:
1.Enjoying your summer does not mean that you will have a bad start to Year 12. That is simply not true. I think you are exaggerating the intensity of A Levels.

2. Aiming for B's and C's does not mean that someone doesn't want to go to university. Different courses at different universities require different entry requirements, so a B/C may be seen as the standard for some courses.

3. Wanting to be a doctor, engineer or 'doing a hard course at uni', is no significantly harder to accomplish, especially so early on.

I still stand by my point. It's unnecessary for OP to be revising AS/A Level content during the summer. At most, OP should be confident in the GCSE content relating to their A Level subjects, or gather up revision resources to use at the start of Year 12.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GCSE_Rockstar32
I'm in Year 12, studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ, so I do believe that I can have an input in this discussion.

There are a lot of errors with what you have been saying:
1.Enjoying your summer does not mean that you will have a bad start to Year 12. That is simply not true. I think you are exaggerating the intensity of A Levels.

2. Aiming for B's and C's does not mean that someone doesn't want to go to university. Different courses at different universities require different entry requirements, so a B/C may be seen as the standard for some courses.

3. Wanting to be a doctor, engineer or 'doing a hard course at uni', is no significantly harder to accomplish, especially so early on.

I still stand by my point. It's unnecessary for OP to be revising AS/A Level content during the summer. At most, OP should be confident in the GCSE content relating to their A Level subjects, or gather up revision resources to use at the start of Year 12.

One can enjoy their summer and study its not that hard?? I am not saying do 6 hours a day..i am saying hour to two a day..thats really not that much and nothing to get stressed about. You k what if your in year 11 do whatever you want take my advice or leave it…aiming for Bs and Cs is fine but that means your not applying for competitive courses…if you pretty much want to go to a Russel Group uni or top ones you need to be proactive.
nah I didn’t and I was fine
Not really. If you are doing A-level Maths and/or Further Maths it may be useful to spend a bit of time over the summer reviewing your GCSE material, since you need to have a strong foundation in that to do well in the A-level course. I wouldn't recommend trying to study new material from the A-level syllabus though. For A-level English Literature it may be useful to read some of the prescribed texts beforehand, just so you are familiar with the overall plot (not necessarily having done any analysis yet), but it's not essential by any means.

Before 6th form the only thing I did that might be considered preparation for 6th form was reading one of the texts for my English lit course. This wasn't even with preparing for 6th form in mind, it was just because I was bored one day and my sister's copy of the text happened to be lying around (she did the same English lit course as I ended up doing) so it was a way to kill some time.
Getting an A/A* will definitely be easier if you start revising early. I would definitely recommend it so that you could finish your year 1 content earlier than everyone-else and get more time to do exam questions so that you should be well prepared for your mock exams. If you revise in these holidays, you should do around 1 or 2 hours a day maximum and over the week this will be around about 2 to 3 hours for each subject. Also I must say that make sure you make notes are specific to the specification for that subject so that your time will not have been wasted. Some people made notes for like 4 units but threw them all in the bin because they were either lacking content compared to school notes or because they were just useless.

Quick Reply

Latest