The Student Room Group

should i do maths a-level?

hi i’m in yr 10 going into yr 11 (so basically yr 11) and i’m thinking about taking maths for a level. i don’t particularly enjoy maths, but i get decent grades. in my most recent maths mock exam i got a 7 (this was my first attempt at an actual maths gcse). the reason why i want to do a level maths is because i’ve heard it’s a very versatile a level and it can help a lot with jobs and stuff. the problem is that i don’t really enjoy maths that much and idk if that will impact my well being and my actual a level grade.

also, i don’t actually have any ideas on what degree/job i want to do when i’m older. honestly rn i’m just going with the flow, i don’t have any specific passions but i get alright grades (7s and above) in all my subjects. what do you think?
Original post by kittykitten12
hi i’m in yr 10 going into yr 11 (so basically yr 11) and i’m thinking about taking maths for a level. i don’t particularly enjoy maths, but i get decent grades. in my most recent maths mock exam i got a 7 (this was my first attempt at an actual maths gcse). the reason why i want to do a level maths is because i’ve heard it’s a very versatile a level and it can help a lot with jobs and stuff. the problem is that i don’t really enjoy maths that much and idk if that will impact my well being and my actual a level grade.

also, i don’t actually have any ideas on what degree/job i want to do when i’m older. honestly rn i’m just going with the flow, i don’t have any specific passions but i get alright grades (7s and above) in all my subjects. what do you think?

Hi @kittykitten12,
Great to hear that you are thinking ahead about your studies. My personal experience with maths was that I really loved it at gcse and got a 7, and then did it at A Level, due to its usefulness to my Geography degree and geochemistry dissertation. However, in all honesty A Level Maths is much harder than gcse maths because it is a big leap, as with all A Levels, that I found very challenging. In this sense I'm not advising not to take A Level Maths as if you are good at it you can succeed, but I would recommend only taking A Levels that you enjoy and those that will open up your future prospects. Therefore, I'd agree that A Level Maths is very versatile particularly if your not sure about what you want to do.
Best of luck with your studies.
Megan :smile:
University of Lincoln Geography BSc(Hons) Graduate

Quick Reply

Latest