The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP! I used an Erasable pen for my exams.

For my maths pure as level exam and physics as level paper 1 exam I stupidly used an erasable pen. My question is, is it likely my work will disappear when it is being scanned in due to the heat? Is there anything I can do about it?
Potentially, due to the heat of the scanner that the ink could get smudged or even disappear entirely. In terms of what you can do, probably pray. It's less about what they can read and more about what they can't at this point. And yes, the heat of the scanner will absolutely ruin the legibility of your writing.
Why didn't you just use a biro like everyone else?
Reply 2
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Potentially, due to the heat of the scanner that the ink could get smudged or even disappear I entirely. In terms of what you can do, probably pray. It's less about what they can read and more about what they can't at this point. And yes, the heat of the scanner will absolutely ruin the legibility of your writing.
Why didn't you just use a biro like everyone else?

I didn't know that the ink of the erasable pen would disappear. And are you sure about this?
Reply 3
Can my school not do anything about this if I contact them.
Original post by Googleplex
For my maths pure as level exam and physics as level paper 1 exam I stupidly used an erasable pen. My question is, is it likely my work will disappear when it is being scanned in due to the heat? Is there anything I can do about it?

is it likely my work will disappear when it is being scanned?
Possible that some of it might, due to mechanical handling in the high speed scanner or the heat but it's not likely
Is there anything I can do about it?
No. Your papers are now flowing through the marking system and most likely have already been through the scanning process. If by chance anything has been 'erased', it's gone.
(edited 1 year ago)
As the lovely individual above me stated, there is nothing you can do at this point. Either it's gone, or it's not.

Let the school know, so they can tell the exam board. This way the paper can be marked by hand, physically. DO THIS ASAP.
Reply 7
I just emailed the school about this. But if my papers are already scanned would this make a difference?
I just emailed the school about this. But if my papers are already scanned would this make a difference?

As stated several times, it depends on the heat and mechanical stress imposed on your paper. If you're lucky, you'll get a bit of smudging - I wouldn't worry too much about it since there is little you can do at this point.
Reply 9
Thank you guys for answering my question. I have one more question. I understand you probably don't know the specifics of the marking process and that your answer might be a bit arbitrary, but, if you could give a percentage on the chance my work is ruined I would appreciate that.
Thank you guys for answering my question. I have one more question. I understand you probably don't know the specifics of the marking process and that your answer might be a bit arbitrary, but, if you could give a percentage on the chance my work is ruined I would appreciate that.

0.5% chance that more than 5% of what you wrote is lost
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
0.5% chance that more than 5% of what you wrote is lost

Wait really? Or are you joking. Thats really really low

Yes I'm joking. But In a previous job I worked with high speed digital copiers and scanners so have a little experience in this area. The chance that a lot of work is lost through erasure or smudging is pretty low but is real. There have been real problems with some pens in the past which is why you are instructed not to use them. It depends on the specifics of the scanning device used and of the pen. All erasable inks fade over time. Some are very sensitive to heat and friction.
(edited 1 year ago)

No one knows, arbitrary percentages based on nothing will do you no good.
Thank you for your responses. I guess all I can really do at this point is focus on my remaining exams
Just want to say if anyone else had a similar problem to me, dont worry. I emailed my school and my exam board, they all said it would be fine and that even if erasure did happen, they would detect that and manually mark my work. Just make sure to use a ball point pen next time.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm happy for you, keep on keeping on!

Just want to say if anyone else had a similar problem to me, dont worry. I emailed my school and my exam board, they all said it would be fine and that even if erasure did happen, they would detect that and manually mark my work. Just make sure to use a ball point pen next time.
Reply 17
Hey i just did the exact same thing lmao i was wondering if it erased or not ?
Reply 18

Did your work disappear?

Quick Reply

Latest