The Student Room Group

Is my pen suitable for GCSE exams?

Exams started this week and i've been using the red manuscript handwriting pens, I find them comfortable to write with and have used them since primary school but i'm worried in case they are not supposed to be used on exams due to scanning... on the front of the paper it says black ink only and they mention not to use gel pens but i am unsure whether these are gel pens or not and i really could do without the extra stress worrying whether my work will actually show up or not... if anyone has any knowledge on these pens I would greatly appreciate it thank you
Reply 1
Original post by JaL_PaL
Exams started this week and i've been using the red manuscript handwriting pens, I find them comfortable to write with and have used them since primary school but i'm worried in case they are not supposed to be used on exams due to scanning... on the front of the paper it says black ink only and they mention not to use gel pens but i am unsure whether these are gel pens or not and i really could do without the extra stress worrying whether my work will actually show up or not... if anyone has any knowledge on these pens I would greatly appreciate it thank you

I am pretty sure that it is much easier to scan if it is black ink and you may just be causing them extra hassle when they have to scan. But just to be safe, I would switch to a comfortable black pen.
Reply 2
Original post by kevmeisterr
I am pretty sure that it is much easier to scan if it is black ink and you may just be causing them extra hassle when they have to scan. But just to be safe, I would switch to a comfortable black pen.

sorry i forgot to clarify that they are black ink, the pens themselves are red coloured was just trying to describe them to see if anybody else had used them in exams to see if they worked... i do have some bic ballpoints i could use for peace of mind, i just find that i write much faster with the handwriting pens, thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JaL_PaL
sorry i forgot to clarify that they are black ink, the pens themselves are red coloured was just trying to describe them to see if anybody else had used them in exams to see if they worked... i do have some bic ballpoints i could use for peace of mind, i just find that i write much faster with the handwriting pens, thank you for the reply :smile:

Oh in that case, I think they should be fine. It is possible that exam boards prefer ball point, but as long as its blank ink, it should be alright. :smile:
Original post by JaL_PaL

Are you talking about the PaperMate Berol handwriting pens?

Edit: It’s past my bedtime. You said Manuscript. They are fine to use. :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
Are you talking about the PaperMate Berol handwriting pens?

Edit: It’s past my bedtime. You said Manuscript. They are fine to use. :smile:

I'm confused now, are the Berol handwriting ones ok?
Original post by Dropthedonkey
I'm confused now, are the Berol handwriting ones ok?

Yes, those are also fine to use. Sorry for the confusion!

Here is the official guidance:
Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yes, those are also fine to use. Sorry for the confusion!

Here is the official guidance:
Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers.

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest