The Student Room Group

Algebra problems

I can't remember how to work this out.
13/2x - 5/x

Anyone able to help please? I'm more interested in how to work it out rather than just being given an answer to the equation.
Reply 1
This isn't a complete equation, is it meant to equal something?
Reply 2
Original post by Pouchka
This isn't a complete equation, is it meant to equal something?

I've written it exactly how it appears on my mathswatch homework. It doesn't give an answer. That's all there is.
There are other questions on different things and I've checked my answers with a calculator and they are correct. I think the mathswatch app has a glich.
Original post by mjackson19
I've written it exactly how it appears on my mathswatch homework. It doesn't give an answer. That's all there is.
There are other questions on different things and I've checked my answers with a calculator and they are correct. I think the mathswatch app has a glich.

Probably asking you to simplify it. Start by making the denominators equal and seeing what you can do after that
Reply 4

Ah alright then, well the main approach is to make the denominators the same, so as you can see the first number is over 2x, and so to make 5/x's denominator 2x as well, you must multiply both the top and the bottom of 5/x by 2, which will give you 10/2x. now your equation is 13/2x - 10/2x. As the denominators are common, you can put this all into one fraction, so it'd be (13-10)/2x, and then by completing the sum on the numerator, that'll give you 3/2x as your simplified version of the initial statement. Apologies for not recognising that this has to be simplified, I thought it was missing an '='!
Reply 5
Original post by Pouchka
Ah alright then, well the main approach is to make the denominators the same, so as you can see the first number is over 2x, and so to make 5/x's denominator 2x as well, you must multiply both the top and the bottom of 5/x by 2, which will give you 10/2x. now your equation is 13/2x - 10/2x. As the denominators are common, you can put this all into one fraction, so it'd be (13-10)/2x, and then by completing the sum on the numerator, that'll give you 3/2x as your simplified version of the initial statement. Apologies for not recognising that this has to be simplified, I thought it was missing an '='!

Hi. Can you help with this please?
I get that 10 to the power of 6 multiplied by 10 to the power 3 would be 10 to the power of 9 but what if it is 10 to the power of 6 multiplied by 10 to the power of 6? Confused.
I get that 10 to the power of 6 multiplied by 10 to the power 3 would be 10 to the power of 9 but what if it is 10 to the power of 6 multiplied by 10 to the power of 6? Confused.

How many tens are being multiplied together? That gives the exponent/answer.

It's the same rule. When it you have to multiply two powers together (like 10^6 x 10^6), you add the powers (so the answer would be 10^12). If it involves division, you subtract the two powers. When it's in brackets, like (10^2)^3, that is when you multiply the powers together (so the answer would be 10^6).
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
How many tens are being multiplied together? That gives the exponent/answer.

It Is written like t

Original post by bears15
It's the same rule. When it you have to multiply two powers together (like 10^6 x 10^6), you add the powers (so the answer would be 10^12). If it involves division, you subtract the two powers. When it's in brackets, like (10^2)^3, that is when you multiply the powers together (so the answer would be 10^6).

Thank you. I have to revise this stuff for the rest of the weeks homework so I'm very grateful.
Thank you. I have to revise this stuff for the rest of the weeks homework so I'm very grateful.

No worries! If you need help with any other maths problems or any other subject, feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest