The Student Room Group

How do I revise Further Maths?

I have done past papers, understood the content but everytime I do the school exam, I do really badly - what do I do and how do you revise for it?

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Shinei17
I have done past papers, understood the content but everytime I do the school exam, I do really badly - what do I do and how do you revise for it?

Any advice?

Have you had a word with your teacher about the types of mistakes youre making? Without knowing what youre doing (mistakes/topics/...) its difficult to offer decent advice. But a few things which are probably more about working than revision, but they go hand in hand
* Try hard / challenge questions - theyre more about testing understanding than the easier ones which are more about skilling up
* Check / validate your answers/working. Its easy to do "dumb algebra" where a small mistake is almost impossible to spot., but could be debugged line-by-line. Similarly, learn how to quickly check / guestimate solutions.
* Sketch the problem to make clear what is the important information.
* Read questions carefully, especially if there are follow on parts
* Try and understand simple "proofs" of where the different formulae come from. Its more about understanding rather than for proof regurgitation.
* If you find it hard to get started, can you simplify the question / work back from the answer / ... to understand what is necessary.
* Try and think a couple of steps ahead with your algebra, where is the solution leading ... are there different ways of solving the problem ...?
* Few questions require pages of algebra. If that happens youre probably going about them the wrong way and itl would take too long/too error prone in an exam. Learning new approaches for solving problems simply is worth the time investment.
* Reflect about questions youve found difficult/hard (discuss here / with mates) as youll learn the most from these.

But posting questions you had/have trouble with and seeing how you can solve them with a small hint is probably the best (maybe boring) advice.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
I was told that there has been a few gaps in knowledge, but the questions the teachers give me - I have never seen it before, and I'm wondering where I could find difficult questions.
Reply 3
I was told that there has been a few gaps in knowledge, but the questions the teachers give me - I have never seen it before, and I'm wondering where I could find difficult questions.

Any particular topic? dfrost, madasmaths, ... are decent places to start.

However, even with questions youve not seen/practiced before it should often be possible to make a decent attempt by applying the basic principles. So maybe post / work through some of them and see how to develop strategies to get started.

Also note the videos, worked solutions, ... in things like
https://activeteach-prod.resource.pearson-intl.com/r00/r0077/r007713/r00771379/current/Further_Pure_Year_1_AS_Extra_online_content.html
If you get a question wrong/cant do it, review the basic material (videos/textbook) and try to do some similar questions.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4

Any advice?

Heya!

If you're consistently performing poorly on school exams despite understanding the content, it could be helpful to analyse what might be causing the discrepancy. Ask for feedback from your teachers to identify specific areas for improvement :h: Experiment with different revision techniques, such as active recall and spaced repetition, to reinforce your understanding and improve exam performance. Additionally, practising under exam-like conditions and managing test anxiety can contribute to better results. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Any advice?

Here are my main tips:
- Whenever you do practice questions, if you get them wrong always note down the exact steps used in the markscheme, so you can refer back to this later and learn from mistakes
- Use the specification as well as a checklist to see what topics you need work on
- As obvious as this sounds, always double-check your working and always write down the steps of working when answering questions. Even if you do get that question wrong, you may be able to get some marks for working, so don't forget that!
- GCSE Maths Tutor has some videos for further maths I think
- The website below talks about some resources for further maths, so worth a look too
https://www.superprof.co.uk/blog/top-resources-for-gcse-further-mathematics/

I hope that helps and good luck!

Any advice?

try to go over the questions you've made mistakes on over and over again, practice makes perfect
Reply 7
Gonna assume you're talking about the AQA L2 Further Maths, in which case the best advice I can give is binge watch all of the explanation videos on this link(https://www.1stclassmaths.com/l2-further-maths) at x1.5 or x2 speed. If you pay attention for just a few hours and make notes it should be smooth sailing from there. There are also loads of practice Qs and videos going over the answers for those Qs.

Hope this helps.
Reply 8
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest