The Student Room Group

Radian measure- angle approximation expansion

I believe my answer to be correct. Can someone confirm for me please.

Question 7:
0A77C97A-F8DA-465A-BEB1-C23567CE0C48.jpeg

99CCB4BE-BDE4-4A14-B527-006E55B2A2B2.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hello,

The first line is correct but I would stop there.

Note that if you were to avoid the fraction form, the second line should read (1-1/2 θ²)(1-3θ)^-1
Reply 2
Original post by razzor
Hello,

The first line is correct but I would stop there.

Note that if you were to avoid the fraction form, the second line should read (1-1/2 θ²)(1-3θ)^-1

Mmm, I just realised I’m meant to expand brackets if multiplying.

unfortunately I can’t stop here as that’s not what the question is looking for lol.

according to the textbook the answer should be
1+3theta+8.5theta² but there’s been many errors in this section in the textbook, which has left questioning a lot of the answers..

Edit: on that note of multiplying brackets, I found the answer to be 1x3theta-1/2theta² ignoring above
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KingRich
Mmm, I just realised I’m meant to expand brackets if multiplying.

unfortunately I can’t stop here as that’s not what the question is looking for lol.

according to the textbook the answer should be
1+3theta+8.5theta² but there’s been many errors in this section in the textbook, which has left questioning a lot of the answers..

Edit: on that note of multiplying brackets, I found the answer to be 1x3theta-1/2theta² ignoring above

The textbook is correct. Youve truncated the expansion for sin(3x) at 3x which is correct as the next term is O(x^3), but when you do the series for
(1-3x)^(-1)
Youve not included the quadratic term and stopped at the linear term. This is incorrect as youre (part) multiplying it by 1 (well 1-x^2/2).

Edit - note you could have done this part
(1-x^2/2)/(1-3x)
using long division or matching coefficients. Though they probably expect a binomial expansion as you tried to do.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
The textbook is correct. Youve truncated the expansion for sin(3x) at 3x which is correct as the next term is O(x^3), but when you do the series for
(1-3x)^(-1)
Youve not included the quadratic term and stopped at the linear term. This is incorrect as youre (part) multiplying it by 1 (well 1-x^2/2).

Edit - note you could have done this part
(1-x^2/2)/(1-3x)
using long division or matching coefficients. Though they probably expect a binomial expansion as you tried to do.

Let’s say theta=x

so, quadratic term for 1-3x?? I’m not sure that I follow.

if (1-3x)¹ where does this quadratic term come from?

it only exists in cos x≈ 1-1/2x²….

mmm, wait, I think you’ve just nudged a brain cell.

I didn’t expand 1-1/2x²

Edit: no there’s no expansion to be done here.
I’m so confused lol
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
DCCABE4F-93AB-40E1-B7D5-481C4791AFEC.jpeg
As you can see by this example here. I’m simply using this concept the exact same way. I don’t know how my answer can be incorrect unless this example is wrong?
Let’s say theta=x

so, quadratic term for 1-3x?? I’m not sure that I follow.

if (1-3x)¹ where does this quadratic term come from?

it only exists in cos x≈ 1-1/2x²….

mmm, wait, I think you’ve just nudged a brain cell.

I didn’t expand 1-1/2x²

Edit: no there’s no expansion to be done here.
I’m so confused lol

(1-3x)^(-1)
has an infinite number of terms in its series expansion. Newton would want to hang you along with the coin clippers. So
a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3 + ...
Youve only worked out a and b and truncated the rest. You need to include cx^2 as when you multiply it by (1-x^2/2), there are two contributions to the final quadratic so
cx^2 - ax^2/2

Doing it the other way suggested
1 - x^2/2 = (1-3x)(a + bx + cx^2)
then matching coefficients
constant: a = 1
linear: 0 = -3a + b, so b = 3
quadratic: -1/2 = c - 3b, so c = 8 1/2
(edited 1 year ago)
DCCABE4F-93AB-40E1-B7D5-481C4791AFEC.jpeg
As you can see by this example here. I’m simply using this concept the exact same way. I don’t know how my answer can be incorrect unless this example is wrong?

Note youre expanding (1-3x)^(-1). As a simple way of understanding what the expansion should be, note
(1-3x)(1-3x)^(-1) = 1
Now assuming the series for (1-3x)^(-1) is
a+bx+cx^2+dx^3+...
wed have
(1-3x)(a+bx+cx^2+dx^3+...) = 1
As before, equating coeffs
constant: 1 = a
linear: 0 = -3a + b, so b = -3
quadratic: 0 = -3b + c, so c = 9
d = -27, e = 81, ..
etc
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
I decided I should take a day break from maths and come back to it lol.

I’m clearly having aneurism or something.
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
(1-3x)^(-1)
has an infinite number of terms in its series expansion. Newton would want to hang you along with the coin clippers. So
a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3 + ...
Youve only worked out a and b and truncated the rest. You need to include cx^2 as when you multiply it by (1-x^2/2), there are two contributions to the final quadratic so
cx^2 - ax^2/2

Doing it the other way suggested
1 - x^2/2 = (1-3x)(a + bx + cx^2)
then matching coefficients
constant: a = 1
linear: 0 = -3a + b, so b = 3
quadratic: -1/2 = c - 3b, so c = 8 1/2

Okay!!! After trying to give my brain a rest it clicked about having infinite number of terms!

I deserve the bullying from Newton lol.

I went back and re-addressed it and found the the solution.

E440BD4C-94EA-4391-9244-6796FC179C4A.jpeg

I apologise for my stupid behaviour and I need a full days rest as I’ve clearly been over doing it!!
Okay!!! After trying to give my brain a rest it clicked about having infinite number of terms!

I deserve the bullying from Newton lol.

I went back and re-addressed it and found the the solution.

E440BD4C-94EA-4391-9244-6796FC179C4A.jpeg

I apologise for my stupid behaviour and I need a full days rest as I’ve clearly been over doing it!!

No problem. One way to remember/interpert it is as an infinite geometric sum. So for the geometric series with a=1:
1 + r + r^2 + r^3 + .... = 1/(1-r) = (1-r)^(-1)
Yours is this with r=3x.

In reverse
(1-r)(1 + r + r^2 + r^3 + ...) = 1 + 0r + 0r^2 + 0r^3 + ...
Every term (apart from the onstant) is zero because when you look at the nth term:
-r*r^(n-1) + 1*r^n = 0
If you had a finite number of terms in the series, so
1 + r + r^2 + r^3
say, then the product would be 1 - r^4. It also emphasises here why 3x (r) must be small for the infintie series to converge. More simply 1/(1-3x) cannot be a divide by zero so |3x| < 1.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest