The Student Room Group

Math question of trig identities

l don't understand this question
IMG_20220616_192755.jpg
(edited 1 year ago)
I assume it wants you to solve for B, what have you tried so far?

Also, is that -2sin(B) or -2sin(13) in the second bracket?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 19680126
l don't understand this question
IMG_20220616_192755.jpg

Original post by Ira Acedia

I think it's meant to be an identity (and it is!) if we assume all the trig arguments are B (or beta), Expand both brackets and collect terms - there are some sin^2 and cos^2 terms which should add up to 13 and a couple of 'cross terms' with opposite signs which should cancel out :smile:

OP: post your working if still stuck :smile:
Reply 3

-2sin(B)
Reply 4
Original post by davros
I think it's meant to be an identity (and it is!) if we assume all the trig arguments are B (or beta), Expand both brackets and collect terms - there are some sin^2 and cos^2 terms which should add up to 13 and a couple of 'cross terms' with opposite signs which should cancel out :smile:

OP: post your working if still stuck :smile:

1655407954721-56685775.jpg

l don't know what l should do now?
Note that you made an error in your second line, in the very last bracket, it should be 3cosB

this has a knock on effect on the other lines.

Once you finish fixing all the expansions, what identities can you spot being usable here?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Note that you made an error in your second line, in the very last bracket, it should be 3cosB

this has a knock on effect on the other lines.

Once you finish fixing all the expansions, what identities can you spot being usable here?

ohh thank u
Reply 7
16554088918102049359810.jpg

so is this step right now?
(sorry my math is quite bad)
Reply 8
1655409215311-16017664.jpg
how do u get to 13?
When you multiply the last 2 brackets next to each other, you get +9cosB and +4sinB. You should have +9cos^2B and +4sin^2B as you've done (3cosB)^2 and (4sinB)^2.

You seem to overall have an issue keeping track of the powers. Your line below that should read.

13cos^2(B) + 12cos(B)sin(B) + 13sin^2(B) - 12 cos(B)sin(B) = 13

This will further simplify to 13cos^2(B) + 13sin^2(B) = 13

I'm not sure what the question is asking from here on (i.e. did it just want this simplified form, or more? Because this equation is a multiplication of a very common identity, meaning it'll hold for all values of B).
Reply 10
When you multiply the last 2 brackets next to each other, you get +9cosB and +4sinB. You should have +9cos^2B and +4sin^2B as you've done (3cosB)^2 and (4sinB)^2.

You seem to overall have an issue keeping track of the powers. Your line below that should read.

I'm not sure what the question is asking from here on (i.e. did it just want this simplified form, or more? Because this equation is a multiplication of a very common identity, meaning it'll hold for all values of B).

Thank u so much l know where l have done wrong now!:smile:

I assumed the question was "prove the following identity..." - it would have helped to have seen an image of the original as my biggest problem was deciphering the handwriting and working out what was a "B" and what was a "13" :smile:
Original post by 19680126
Thank u so much l know where l have done wrong now!:smile:

OP - are you familiar with simple binomials like (X+Y)2=X2+2XY+Y2(X+Y)^2 = X^2 + 2XY + Y^2 ?

When you see something like (2sinA+3cosA)2(2sinA + 3cosA)^2 you should be almost straightaway expecting the answer to involve 4sin2A4sin^2{A} and 9cos2A9cos^2{A}, the only tricky bit being to get the correct number in front of the "cross-term" i.e. the one involving sinAcosAsin{A}cos{A} :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest