The Student Room Group

Not ready for Grade 8 Music exam

It's in two weeks exactly and I still have so much to memorise and I'm still fumbling over notes - I doubt I will perform well in transposed sight reading or aural either.

I've been super busy with exams for the past few months so had very little time to practice - and my mum was having none of it, and made me register to take the exam anyway. I really don't want to do it because I know I'll fail. Any way I can convince my pushy parents?
Original post by Eddie3294302
It's in two weeks exactly and I still have so much to memorise and I'm still fumbling over notes - I doubt I will perform well in transposed sight reading or aural either.

I've been super busy with exams for the past few months so had very little time to practice - and my mum was having none of it, and made me register to take the exam anyway. I really don't want to do it because I know I'll fail. Any way I can convince my pushy parents?

this was me last year- my mum signed me up for it while i was at school. i wasn't ready and didn't have time to revise 20 pages of scales.

tell your mum that it's better you get a distinction than a fail- and you can always do it in a couple months time (use the academic value if your parents are strict about education- distinction means higher uni points). for the sight reading just try playing some of the other pieces in your book with your 3 pieces as practice if you haven't got a seperate book for it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dahlia06
this was me last year- my mum signed me up for it while i was at school. i wasn't ready and didn't have time to revise 20 pages of scales.

tell your mum that it's better you get a distinction than a fail- and you can always do it in a couple months time (use the academic value if your parents are strict about education- distinction means higher uni points). for the sight reading just try playing some of the other pieces in your book with your 3 pieces as practice if you haven't got a seperate book for it.

Tried convincing her, she insists I do it anyway. I'm just going to fail and say 'I told you so'
Reply 3
Original post by Eddie3294302
Tried convincing her, she insists I do it anyway. I'm just going to fail and say 'I told you so'

Hi OP,
I was in the same place before for both grades 6 and 8. When I took my grade 6, I lost a month of practice as I went to Australia as an exchange student. However, something came out for the better for me, as I had music as an elective there. Some people in the class asked me to play one of the exam pieces for them, and I played the A piece. This helped me gain confidence in the exam. As for sight reading I (unexpectedly) got practice material as I was given a 16-bar full score. The classmates were shocked when they saw me turn on a 30-second timer, then played that score out just after the timer rang. In the end I broke through and got 127, and did much better than the two previous exams in sight reading.
When I took my grade 8, I lost lessons due to studying for A levels. (I am outside the UK, so I did the performance option) I didn't learn my 4th piece until the summer of 2021 as a result. And once I came back after the A levels there was such a lot to catch up. I listened to performances of experts and followed them quickly. Even though the texture of the piano I played on wasn't what I used to (as the keys were really hard), which made the interpretations not as good as I hoped for, but I still got 124.
I think you got this, don't give up. Btw you don't need to memorise your pieces (I didn't do it in all my exams). For sight reading try checking your older grade books and sight read the pieces you didn't learn for the past exams.

Quick Reply

Latest