Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could help that would be great!

Basically, I've been told to order the functional groups and akyl groups in alphabetical order and I was fine with that.

A question then asked me to draw out 2-methyl-2-iodopropanoic acid?

Surely it would 2-iodo-2-methylpropanoic acid?

ReputationRep:
    You are quite correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You are quite correct
    Ahh thankyou

I'm guessing its a mistake on the sheet then. Silly sheet :p:

ReputationRep:
    the naming format in the question is the one i am use to so it doeas seem correct!

however, i didn't quite get what your question was... could you perhaps elaborate a bit? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adellie)
    the naming format in the question is the one i am use to so it doeas seem correct!

however, i didn't quite get what your question was... could you perhaps elaborate a bit? x
    The questions says the compound is called 2-methyl-2-iodopropanoic acid. If we are naming the functional and alkyl groups in alphabetical order, the name should be 2-iodo-2-methylpropanoic acid because i comes before m in the alphabet? i think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob9001)
    The questions says the compound is called 2-methyl-2-iodopropanoic acid. If we are naming the functional and alkyl groups in alphabetical order, the name should be 2-iodo-2-methylpropanoic acid because i comes before m in the alphabet? i think?
    i get the question now, ... alphabetically ordering... so yes, your answer does seem correct! : ) sorry for any confusion x

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.