The Student Room Group

Loss on ignition interference inorganic chemistry

I've been looking at inorganic chemistry & my brain isn't working.
Make it make sense.
Loss on ignition. Samples in a furnace.

In the presence of substances which are volatile at temperatures below 105 degrees or which decompose at temps below 105 to form volatile compounds will give falsely low results for the total solids result.
If this result is used as a measure of the organic solids content one must bear in ind that under certain circumstances the loss of volatile inorganic substance may occur leading to a positive bias and there may be incomplete combustion leading to a negative bias.

What does this even mean in plain English.
Original post by username3042266
I've been looking at inorganic chemistry & my brain isn't working.
Make it make sense.
Loss on ignition. Samples in a furnace.

In the presence of substances which are volatile at temperatures below 105 degrees or which decompose at temps below 105 to form volatile compounds will give falsely low results for the total solids result.
If this result is used as a measure of the organic solids content one must bear in ind that under certain circumstances the loss of volatile inorganic substance may occur leading to a positive bias and there may be incomplete combustion leading to a negative bias.

What does this even mean in plain English.

Volatile = easily turns to vapour (gas)

You are doing an analysis of a mixture of organic compounds and non-organic compounds by heating them in a furnace at 105ºC.
You would expect the organic compounds to all burn or be vaporised and hence the mass change (initial mass - final mass) will be due to the mass of the organics.

BUT

If there are substances other than organics that are volatile OR decompose to give volatile compounds (eg carbonates) then this will also cause mass loss, so the total mass lost will be greater than the "real" answer.

If there is incomplete combustion of the organic there will be LESS mass loss than the "real" answer.

Plain English

Quick Reply

Latest