The Student Room Group

Weird English Lit grade AQA GCSE

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had a really strange grade for one of their AQA exams? I typically get 9s in English Lit, and it's one of my strongest subjects, and I also felt that my exams went pretty well, but I've gotten a whole three grades lower?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? if so, please share because I'm so frustrated & confused.

Scroll to see replies

For me it has been the other way around. I usually get 6's in English Lit but I got a 9 today so I was confused too. You could ask to get it remarked if you think it wasn't marked appropriately and looked at the mark breakdown.
One of my friends has been consistently getting 4s but got a grade 8.
Reply 3
Original post by davidfor
For me it has been the other way around. I usually get 6's in English Lit but I got a 9 today so I was confused too. You could ask to get it remarked if you think it wasn't marked appropriately and looked at the mark breakdown.

Congrats on your grade!!
I'm getting mine remarked because all my teachers have agreed that it's so weird, the suspense is gonna kill me though
Original post by lwbch14
Congrats on your grade!!
I'm getting mine remarked because all my teachers have agreed that it's so weird, the suspense is gonna kill me though

Thank youu! Yeah, it's definitely weird if you were doing that well for a while and now it's dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with AQA's mess this year. Good luck with getting it remarked or I'll help raid AQA's headquarters with you haha.
Reply 5
Original post by lwbch14
Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had a really strange grade for one of their AQA exams? I typically get 9s in English Lit, and it's one of my strongest subjects, and I also felt that my exams went pretty well, but I've gotten a whole three grades lower?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? if so, please share because I'm so frustrated & confused.

Ok so I just did some checking and I got 9s in both my poetry & modern drama, but somehow they’ve given me a 4 in Macbeth and Unseen Poetry? I 100% think there is a mistake there because Macbeth & Unseen are my strongest papers and I answered both those questions quite confidently. I have a feeling they forgot to count the Unseen or something. This is plausible, right?
Original post by lwbch14
Hi everyone,

yeah I felt the same. normally get 8/9 but I got a 7 this time
Original post by Person72828
One of my friends has been consistently getting 4s but got a grade 8.

saw a video where this one guy opens his results and gets a mark 113 on combined science AQA higher and gets a grade 9. what?
Original post by davidfor
Thank youu! Yeah, it's definitely weird if you were doing that well for a while and now it's dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with AQA's mess this year. Good luck with getting it remarked or I'll help raid AQA's headquarters with you haha.

this is weird with AQA like in mocks I got 8s and 9s in science and now I get 7s. a bit upset considering the amount of effort i put in, but it could be worse ig
Same here omg , never got anything lower than a 9 ( in mocks etc ) and now a 6 in aqa gcse eng lit. Shocking ! Will be getting a remark for sure. plz keep us updated about ur situation too if possible xd , least im not alone facing the same issue.
Original post by lwbch14
Ok so I just did some checking and I got 9s in both my poetry & modern drama, but somehow they’ve given me a 4 in Macbeth and Unseen Poetry? I 100% think there is a mistake there because Macbeth & Unseen are my strongest papers and I answered both those questions quite confidently. I have a feeling they forgot to count the Unseen or something. This is plausible, right?

Get copies of the marked scripts back first (it's free- contact your school) to help you decide whether it is worth paying for a review of marking.
Original post by lwbch14

Yes, definitely. It makes no sense for you to get 9's in one paper and then just about pass the other paper.
Reply 12
Original post by tank1345
Same here omg , never got anything lower than a 9 ( in mocks etc ) and now a 6 in aqa gcse eng lit. Shocking ! Will be getting a remark for sure. plz keep us updated about ur situation too if possible xd , least im not alone facing the same issue.

will do!! it's stressing me out so much
Just wondering did you get anything back yet? still kinda anxiously waiting for remark results over here xd
Reply 14
Original post by Tank1345 no 2
Just wondering did you get anything back yet? still kinda anxiously waiting for remark results over here xd

Hi! my grade went up by 3, i got an extra 22 marks!
Wow! Congrats man :smile:
Original post by lwbch14

Congrats!
hey, in the english lit I strongly thought I was going to get an 8, however I got a grade 6, requested a remark for the first test, specifically the lord of the flies section where I got 13/30 I was very confused because I thought I did well for that question, I got the remark results back and it stayed the same, I also got the essay back and I re read it and showed it to an English teacher and they said I should've gotten 25/30 for it. I'm annoyed but there is nothing I can do. I've just wasted £50
heyyy, I have never got higher than a grade 6 in English Lit but somehow I got 3 marks off full marks on the paper lmao. god knows how, but I'm not complaining hehe
Original post by lwbch14

WAIT OMG WELL DONEEE :smile:
that's amazinggg!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest