The Student Room Group

Current Year 10 Official Thread (2022-2023)

:aetsch: YR 10 CHAT THREAD 22/23 :aetsch:

Let me just ctrl c ctrl v rq…

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Idk why this is a thread but there are no others so…. I GET TO MAKE ONE! :colonhash:

Anyone excited for GCSEs… :creep:

****Introduce yourself*****
:angelwings:
What subjects are you doing and on which exam board?
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
What grades are you aiming for at the end of the year?
Any ideas what you would like to do after this year?
Share your top revision technique. NOW!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Forgot to put my subjects :eek:
- Biology (AQA)
- Chemistry (AQA)
- Physics (AQA)
- English Language (Edexcel)
- English Literature (Edexcel)
- Maths (Edexcel)
- History (Edexcel)
- Computing (OCR)
- Statistics (Edexcel)
- French (AQA)
I haven't got any predicted grades, but reports say 7/8/9s. I "think" I'm in top set for everything.
What do I like? Uhmmmmmmm... I was into chess but that's gone now. I'll try to get back into it. I read, sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. It can vary between half an hour to 5 hours on a lazy day. I'm slowly moving away from youtube. What else? I know a lot of revision techniques at this point, and I would say I've (semi) begun preparing for hardcore Year 11 revision. I would say that I am an entrepreneur who's ideas fall short after research into them. (Although I predicted half of the big inventions from the 2010-2020 era when I was 6.) I'm also into running for now. Duolingo's cool i guess but I'm moving away from that after finding more effective language learning sites. My favourite subject is maths... (I think.) That's me! The Year 10 community on here is non-existent but oh well.
Hi, I just wanted to know, what language apps you use instead of Duolingo for French
Original post by Maximus The 1st

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Idk why this is a thread but there are no others so…. I GET TO MAKE ONE! :colonhash:

hello very scared for gcses :frown:

here are my subjects:
maths higher (edexcel)
science foundation (aqa)
media (not sure)
btec business (not sure)
history (aqa)
re (not sure)
english (aqa)

goodluck
Original post by A-Dungey21
Hi, I just wanted to know, what language apps you use instead of Duolingo for French

Hiya there,

I personally used Memrise at GCSE for learning French and German vocab. I found this INCREDIBLY useful as if you know your vocab for GCSEs, you're bound to get a pretty high score. Do a bit a day - like 15 mins before you go to school etc, and honestly over time it'll help you so much with language learning. Other apps I recommend are Quizlet and HelloTalk - on the latter app, you can do like a mini language exchange with someone and chat to someone who speaks the language you want to learn :h:.

Hope this helps!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by studyisnotbad
hello very scared for gcses :frown:

here are my subjects:
maths higher (edexcel)
science foundation (aqa)
media (not sure)
btec business (not sure)
history (aqa)
re (not sure)
english (aqa)

goodluck

Hiya there,

Oh no, why are you scared for GCSEs? What thoughts are going through your head? We're all here to support you throughout the next two years and so if you're worried and looking for tips, then let us know! :u: You can definitely ace GCSEs if you revise consistently and efficiently. If you're stuck on things like GCSE bio, chem and phys, then we have notes here to help you out :h:

Hope you're okay, and lmk where I can help! :suith:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Hiya there,

I personally used Memrise at GCSE for learning French and German vocab. I found this INCREDIBLY useful as if you know your vocab for GCSEs, you're bound to get a pretty high score. Do a bit a day - like 15 mins before you go to school etc, and honestly over time it'll help you so much with language learning. Other apps I recommend are Quizlet and HelloTalk - on the latter app, you can do like a mini language exchange with someone and chat to someone who speaks the language you want to learn :h:.

Hope this helps!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind

Thankyou, this is really helpful!
:smile:

heyyyy

subjects im doing
english -aqa
maths edexcel
biology -aqa
chemistry-aqa
physcis-aqa
religous studies -aqa
geography -aqa
business studies - edexcel
computer science - OCR

in my free time i love to play the piano, baking , and sports. ik this is a bit ambitious lmao but im trying to get all 9s i really hope i can do it but currently i get 7,8,9s in most my subjects except from English.
personally for revision
sciences - watching revision vids ( i rlly recommend cognito )
bbc bitesize
mindmaps, notes, flashcards
and quizlet for any languages

anyone else doing there english spoken language exam soon ?
(edited 1 year ago)
I don’t think my English spoken is for a while… I hope. If you’re looking for a distinction just answer loads of questions in class to build confidence. Make sure you pick a topic you’re passionate in. Be enthusiastic so your teacher likes you. Try and get people to ask questions at the end.
Original post by wonyoung.12
heyyyy

subjects im doing
english -aqa
maths edexcel
biology -aqa
chemistry-aqa
physcis-aqa
religous studies -aqa
geography -aqa
business studies - edexcel
computer science - OCR

in my free time i love to play the piano, baking , and sports. ik this is a bit ambitious lmao but im trying to get all 9s i really hope i can do it but currently i get 7,8,9s in most my subjects except from English.
personally for revision
sciences - watching revision vids ( i rlly recommend cognito )
bbc bitesize
mindmaps, notes, flashcards
and quizlet for any languages

anyone else doing there english spoken language exam soon ?

Hiya there,

I'm sure you'll do fabulously in the next 2 years - it's awesome to see that you're aiming high! :tongue:

To get 9s, you really want to be making sure that you've got all the content covered and that you're also perfecting exam technique too. For each subject I recommend downloading the specification and highlighting areas that you're less confident on as you go along, so that you know what to focus on when you start revising. Also, do little and often revision throughout the year! Remember that past papers are your best friend, and so doing them frequently will help so much long-term :u:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Hiya there,

I'm sure you'll do fabulously in the next 2 years - it's awesome to see that you're aiming high! :tongue:

To get 9s, you really want to be making sure that you've got all the content covered and that you're also perfecting exam technique too. For each subject I recommend downloading the specification and highlighting areas that you're less confident on as you go along, so that you know what to focus on when you start revising. Also, do little and often revision throughout the year! Remember that past papers are your best friend, and so doing them frequently will help so much long-term :u:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind

ahh tysmm
Hello everyone :tongue:
Subjects i am doing:
Maths- Edexcel
English language- AQA
English literature- AQA
R.E- AQA (Christianity and Judaism)
Biology- AQA
Physics- AQA
Chemistry- AQA
Spanish- AQA
History- Edexcel
Geography- AQA

I love to read, cook/bake and martial arts; It would be amazing to get grade 7+ in my subjects. Does every school do this English spoken exam, my teacher has not told me anything about it? Also is anyone doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award this year?

My top revision tips:
Youtube saviours: Mr Salles, Mr Bruff and Freesciencelessons
PAST PAPERS!!
Physics and Maths tutor
Memrise for Spanish
Yes everyone does English speaking exam in year 10 or start of year 11. I think we’re told closer to the time.
Hiya!! I'm doing my iGCSEs instead of GCSEs but I figured it would be nice if I could join here too if that's ok? I remember finding an igcse section but I can't find it anywhere. My name is Bi (pronounced like bee) and I am an overly ambitious // competitive girl with a tendency to hyper fixate on things which gets in the way of my studying... a lot haha.

All my subjects (to my knowledge) are CIE
art
co-ordinated science
maths
additional maths
English language
English literature
French FL
history
global perspectives

and I heard rumour that there's going to be a Vietnamese igcse in 2024 so my school is looking into that.

I really like knitting and drinking tea instead of water. I play stardew valley and sims sometimes, but I haven't done that for a while.
I'm hoping to get all As and A*s this year, but I absolutely suck at chemistry so I'm slightly worried about science. But if I study it should be fine! We took checkpoint CIE last year which only tests English, Maths and Science, so I only have target grades for those. It should be A A* A respectively.

I don't have any study tips (which is what I'm here to try to learn!) but I like using quizlet, making revision sheets (where you cram all the info into one A4 sheet of paper and carry it around to study) and playing kahoot in class because I'm competitive and my only motivation, unfortunately, is to be best at everything I do which is kind of scary. To date, I have never really been one to study so I'm trying to get better at that before I fail all my exams :shrug: hopefully that emote works? I'm not usually on the forum, but I'd like to be more active around here.

Editing cos I forgot to introduce myself hehe:
Hi, I’m Mouboni (say it how you like I don’t know how to say it in English accent myself or well I guess stress on the mo then like bunny I think, just don’t call me moobonee :biggrin:) and I’m good at studies, I like to take control in a team and I love maths and physics and chemistry and dt (not biology too much memorising) and I can talk a lot or very little, I have a really bad social filter but I’m still nice and I like solving problems. I don’t know what I was meant to say.

Year 10 will be fun because no more icky subjects and more opportunities and trips and stability and at least we aren’t year 11 yet :redface:

Eeeepp can’t believe there’s one for my year this year :biggrin:

I’m doing:
English lang Igcse
English lit Igcse
Maths edexcel
Triple science edexcel
Geography aqa
Computer science (umm edexcel or cie I don’t know)
DT aqa
Chinese cie

Umm I like gardening, Indian classical dance, my teen tech project, I volunteer at a charity shop and it’s fun for dofe and also doing random things and tsr - except the site is so glitchy

I want all 9s because I’m nearly there except geography 6/7 and English 7/8
Why is the English so hard we did a mini gcse English in year nine EOY and it’s ssoooo specific what they want :confused:
Like a-levels/ib/post 16 whatever wait no what I’m confused on question? I want to work on my GCSEs and get enough extracurriculars to look impressive and to have sorted my friend group and go on school trips to the Iceland and China and all the places cos it seems funnnnnnn and not have my school plant killed.

Oh, hmmm I either look through the revision list and imagine concepts in my head or I highlight the textbook and do practise questions. I don’t know really
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by niamhcheesecake
Hello everyone :tongue:
Subjects i am doing:
Maths- Edexcel
English language- AQA
English literature- AQA
R.E- AQA (Christianity and Judaism)
Biology- AQA
Physics- AQA
Chemistry- AQA
Spanish- AQA
History- Edexcel
Geography- AQA

I love to read, cook/bake and martial arts; It would be amazing to get grade 7+ in my subjects. Does every school do this English spoken exam, my teacher has not told me anything about it? Also is anyone doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award this year?

My top revision tips:
Youtube saviours: Mr Salles, Mr Bruff and Freesciencelessons
PAST PAPERS!!
Physics and Maths tutor
Memrise for Spanish

I’m finishing my bronze dofe this year and going to silver you?
Also what speaking exam what!??!
Original post by A-Dungey21

Memrise
quizlet
Forgot to put my subjects :eek:
- Biology (AQA)
- Chemistry (AQA)
- Physics (AQA)
- English Language (Edexcel)
- English Literature (Edexcel)
- Maths (Edexcel)
- History (Edexcel)
- Computing (OCR)
- Statistics (Edexcel)
- French (AQA)
I haven't got any predicted grades, but reports say 7/8/9s. I "think" I'm in top set for everything.
What do I like? Uhmmmmmmm... I was into chess but that's gone now. I'll try to get back into it. I read, sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. It can vary between half an hour to 5 hours on a lazy day. I'm slowly moving away from youtube. What else? I know a lot of revision techniques at this point, and I would say I've (semi) begun preparing for hardcore Year 11 revision. I would say that I am an entrepreneur who's ideas fall short after research into them. (Although I predicted half of the big inventions from the 2010-2020 era when I was 6.) I'm also into running for now. Duolingo's cool i guess but I'm moving away from that after finding more effective language learning sites. My favourite subject is maths... (I think.) That's me! The Year 10 community on here is non-existent but oh well.

I know right, I looked for my age peers here but there were like none :frown:
Altleast we’re together with the few we have

Spoiler

Original post by Inc3me
I know right, I looked for my age peers here but there were like none :frown:
Altleast we’re together with the few we have

Spoiler

i'm in year 11 now lol
Original post by sufys
i'm in year 11 now lol

Dam it
i knew that