The Student Room Group

Computer Science Placement Year 2023

Hi everyone, I'm going into the 2nd year of my computer science course. I'm doing a placement year/year industry to gain additional experience before I graduate.

I have been researching the placements that are now starting to open for 2023 entry and am feeling quite overwhelmed by everything.

I feel confident in constructing a CV, LinkedIn profile etc.

However, I'm worried about the programming side of things and distinguishing between UK and US advice (I'm applying in the UK).

I have a couple of questions:

1. Are employers interested in programming side projects? Do they need to put on a CV? Side projects are discussed frequently on Reddit, but not sure if this is only relevant to the US.

2. How do you prepare for technical interviews?

3. How many placements did you apply for before getting accepted? I've read stories online of people having to apply for 100+ placements before getting accepted and I'm concerned about how I'm going to balance 2nd-year study alongside all these applications.

Any advice is appreciated, including from people applying this year and people who have done a year in industry.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I know your post didn't get any replies but I'm in in the same situation as you right now, also in second year looking for placements, and I have the same questions as you. Did you end up getting a placement?
Original post by evapocev
I know your post didn't get any replies but I'm in in the same situation as you right now, also in second year looking for placements, and I have the same questions as you. Did you end up getting a placement?

Im also 2nd year and was looking for placements. I'd say i applied for about 30 jobs before getting an offer which i have recently accepted. any update with you?

if u want answers to questions:

Yes 100% this is literally the most important bit i'd say

not many technical interviews for placements, usually independent coding tests, otherwise leetcode

like i said 30

Reply 3
Original post by MoDesignss
Im also 2nd year and was looking for placements. I'd say i applied for about 30 jobs before getting an offer which i have recently accepted. any update with you?

if u want answers to questions:

Yes 100% this is literally the most important bit i'd say

not many technical interviews for placements, usually independent coding tests, otherwise leetcode

like i said 30

I've applied to around 30 aswell. I had no personal projects aside from coursework from my modules which I put on my CV but ig it worked out because I got invited to some interviews (haven't done any of them yet since it's Christmas time). I have one coming up in 2 weeks and Idk what to expect because it's going to be 60 mins and it'll assess me both behaviourly and technically but it's going to be mostly conversational (so I'm assuming no leetcode). Have any of your interviews asked you technical questions? I'm not sure how much to prepare for this or if the questions are going to be quite simple.
Original post by evapocev
I've applied to around 30 aswell. I had no personal projects aside from coursework from my modules which I put on my CV but ig it worked out because I got invited to some interviews (haven't done any of them yet since it's Christmas time). I have one coming up in 2 weeks and Idk what to expect because it's going to be 60 mins and it'll assess me both behaviourly and technically but it's going to be mostly conversational (so I'm assuming no leetcode). Have any of your interviews asked you technical questions? I'm not sure how much to prepare for this or if the questions are going to be quite simple.

Personal projects are really good for the interviews, sets you apart. I had a really good personal project which is a successful server and I still struggled to get accepted after interviews.

I actually got to the final stage for 3 companies, got rejected from 2 and lost hope but thankfully got offer from last one.

For interviews, you’ll be told if it included coding, but it will most likely be a mix between technical and soft skills, so you’ll be asked things like:

Tell me about yourself
Why you want to work for us
Tell us about a time where you had conflict in a group
Tell us about a time where you faced a bug and how you resolved it

For some technical questions (these are for more later stage interviews, first stage is always soft skills really) I usually got things like:

Difference between interpreter and compiler
OOP questions
Explain technical thing in non technical terms

Wouldn’t stress about it, I thought I’d never get an offer especially after so many smaller companies rejected me but the largest one I didn’t expect to offer me, did 😂

Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by MoDesignss
Personal projects are really good for the interviews, sets you apart. I had a really good personal project which is a successful server and I still struggled to get accepted after interviews.

I actually got to the final stage for 3 companies, got rejected from 2 and lost hope but thankfully got offer from last one.

For interviews, you’ll be told if it included coding, but it will most likely be a mix between technical and soft skills, so you’ll be asked things like:

Tell me about yourself
Why you want to work for us
Tell us about a time where you had conflict in a group
Tell us about a time where you faced a bug and how you resolved it

For some technical questions (these are for more later stage interviews, first stage is always soft skills really) I usually got things like:

Difference between interpreter and compiler
OOP questions
Explain technical thing in non technical terms

Wouldn’t stress about it, I thought I’d never get an offer especially after so many smaller companies rejected me but the largest one I didn’t expect to offer me, did 😂

Good luck

Doesn't seem too bad then tbh. Congrats on your offer btw! And thanks, if it goes well and I get an offer I'll come back here 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending