The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to QMUL this year, or trying to get into KCL or UCL next year?

I finished my a-levels in 2022, achieving A*AA in maths, further maths and physics. I had a place at Sheffield Uni for civil engineering and deferred it. I then decided in my gap year that I no longer wanted to study outside of London and was no longer interested in civil engineering.
I now want to study either computer science or mathematics (computer science preferably but I've heard maths is good aswell for getting into software engineering/computer science).
I tried applying through clearing this year at QMUL, where computer science wasn't available but maths is. I am currently waiting to see if I will get in for Mathematics BSc with a placement year.
I have been wondering whether it is worth going to QMUL to do maths this year, or wait another year to try get into KCL or UCL in computer science, or maths if computer science isn't possible?
I'm aware my grades are slightly lower than what KCL and UCL ask for (A*A*A), which is why I am asking this question.
If you apply with achieved grades below the requirements then this will usually be an automatic rejection I'm afraid, (London-based unis and competitive courses also not playing to your favour). Have you checked whether you are eligible for a contextual offer at either KCL or UCL?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
If you apply with achieved grades below the requirements then this will usually be an automatic rejection I'm afraid, (London-based unis and competitive courses also not playing to your favour). Have you checked whether you are eligible for a contextual offer at either KCL or UCL?

I don't qualify for a contextual offer unfortunately. Also bit of a random question, but do you know how KCL clearing works? On their website it says absolutely nothing about clearing for 2023, but on ucas clearing KCL has a bunch of subjects 'available'.
Original post by thomasjlb2
I don't qualify for a contextual offer unfortunately. Also bit of a random question, but do you know how KCL clearing works? On their website it says absolutely nothing about clearing for 2023, but on ucas clearing KCL has a bunch of subjects 'available'.

You'd need to contact them directly to find out if they are taking part in this early clearing stage, (or if there is any possibility they might later, it might be a flat 'no' or it could be they just don't know until AL results are in). UCAS may not be up to date.

There's a consolidated list of uni's clearing info here, but it looks like KCL don't have a clearing page currently.
Hi! As a student doing CSE (computer systems engineering) with Placement year @ QMUL, I'd totally recommend doing a CS based degree if you know you want to go into technology - it's possible to get into without CS but it's easier as you'll have more experience. CS @ QMUL is excellent, very supportive & the placement years are flexible- My degree wasn't with a placement year, but once I found a position, they changed my course, no problems.

However, I got into CSE on clearing day as I also originally applied for engineering (mechanical), and decided on results day I wanted to do something more CS based. I'd recommend contacting QMUL clearing and seeing if they have any clearing spaces for CS or CSE- as an option. The clearing lines are open as of today, since you already have your grades, you should try contact them and see what might happen: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/clearing/

It all comes down to you, and what you prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending