The Student Room Group

computer science at university

Hi, I am a year 11 student and I wish to have a career in computer science but I'm not sure which part of computer science I would like to do. (still working on it) However, my subjects i'm taking for A level are Maths, economics and BTEC IT. I'm wondering if anyone can help me confirm that taking a BTEC is equivalent to an A level as some uni's entry requirements are just A*AA and is taking BTEC IT worth it for going for a computer science degree at universities without doing a computer science course at A level. The school I currently go to doesn't offer any computer science courses (which is a shame) but is it still possible to get into high ranking Russel group universities with a BTEC possible?Thanks
I think uni don't put taking IT at A-Level level highly at all. They much prefer Maths, Further Maths, Physics,... (the science subjects) and some interests in coding in your personal statement (code camp, side projects, MOOC). On the paper, uni don't expect you know anything coding and most will teach you from scratch.

Can't answer if BTEC are equivalent to A Level though, I graduated a while ago.
Reply 2
Original post by pandaplayz8
Hi, I am a year 11 student and I wish to have a career in computer science but I'm not sure which part of computer science I would like to do. (still working on it) However, my subjects i'm taking for A level are Maths, economics and BTEC IT. I'm wondering if anyone can help me confirm that taking a BTEC is equivalent to an A level as some uni's entry requirements are just A*AA and is taking BTEC IT worth it for going for a computer science degree at universities without doing a computer science course at A level. The school I currently go to doesn't offer any computer science courses (which is a shame) but is it still possible to get into high ranking Russel group universities with a BTEC possible?Thanks

I would suggest taking another strong STEM subject like Physics or Further Maths. This would show that you have 3 A-levels with the BTEC.
Reply 3
Your options are absolutely fine! Many Unis accept Btecs and the absolutely key subject you must take is the maths. You only need further maths for the most competitive places. For computer science, it is less important which Uni you go to and more important you pick a course with work experience embedded (like a year in industry).
Check out the entry requirements on websites by changing the qualification from A level to Btec:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023&c%5Bq%5D=computer

For example, picking at random, Surrey accept Btecs, and require A level maths: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/computer-science#utm_source=ucas&utm_medium=ucas_course_pages&utm_campaign=ucas_course_pages_1920entry_ug&utm_content=computer_science_fulltime
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi there, @pandaplayz8!

For Surrey, your chosen subjects will be fine, as the only required subject is Maths A-Level. Visit @totallyfine's link to our website so you can read further. Surrey is highly regarded for research quality and output, hosting many award-winning research centres on campus.

In regards to work experience, which is a very important factor to employers, University of Surrey has a great reputation for employer relationships, as well as for its placement years. Computer Science students here have done placements at a wide range of well-known companies such as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and many more.

I hope to have sparked your interest for our university :biggrin:

Marko
2nd Year Student in BSc Accounting and Finance
Original post by pandaplayz8

Hi @pandaplayz8 I am currently a second year student who is studying computer networks and security. I chose to pursue a BTEC IT rather than the traditional 3 A-levels and can say with confidence that this in no way affected me getting into universities. I was accepted by many Universities but chose BCU, as this was the Uni I found had what I needed. Many of the modules in the first year of my course crossed over with computer science and found myself looking back at my Sixth Form coursework for some modules as a recap. I would suggest create a pros and cons list in regards to a BTEC and A-levels this way you can see visually what works best for you. Hope this helps!

Gurpej(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending