The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Official University of Sheffield 2023 Applicant Thread

Hi!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2023!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find the list of all other applicant threads for 2023 here. Good luck! :heart:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evil Homer
Hi!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2023!

Ice breaker questions:

You can find the list of all other applicant threads for 2023 here. Good luck! :heart:

Hi! :h:

What course are you applying for? Biomedical science
What subjects are you studying now? Biology, chemistry, psychology, environmental science

Is anyone else applying for a similar/same course?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi there!

I actually already have an offer for Modern Languages (French and Russian) at Sheffield, but am seriously considering insuring it as I love the look of the uni and course! I study French, Russian, and Latin at A-Level.

Any linguists about?
Hi I'm going to be doing biochemistry stating next year as I've taken a gap year and have a place
Hi! My names Amy and I'm applying for Bioengineering for 2023! I do maths, chemistry and bio right now, and I'm interested in getting involved with the motorsport or racing here.
Hi!

Ice breaker questions:

hiii : D

applying for med and doing bio , chem , psych + epq ! ! <3
Reply 6
Hi!

Ice breaker questions:

Hi!
I'm applying for molecular biology, I currently do bio, chem, french and german at A level!
Hi everyone,

Good luck to those who are waiting to hear back with offers, and congratulations to those who have received an offer already.

This Alumni account is run by four recent graduates who now all work for the university.

If anyone has any questions about any aspect of the University, let us know and we will do our best to help :smile:

Meg
hi!

What course are you applying for? Politics and Sociology

What subjects are you studying now? Sociology, psychology and English language

Sheffield is my second choice after Liverpool, the open day on Saturday was v good!! anyone else applying for social sciences?
Original post by izzy4509x
hi!

What course are you applying for? Politics and Sociology

What subjects are you studying now? Sociology, psychology and English language

Sheffield is my second choice after Liverpool, the open day on Saturday was v good!! anyone else applying for social sciences?

could youu tell a bit on how the open day was?? i couldnt attend.
Original post by Anonymous

hi! I only attended the politics talk but it was the best talk I've seen so far with 3 professors/teaching staff and 2 students all giving really good information about the course and Sheffield as a whole. Sheffield, like liverpool, feels like a really friendly place to live and cheap for students too. Sheffield is definitely pretty hilly but the main campus (at least where I was) feels a good mix of compact/all together and open and big. One of my fave things was how green the whole place is. It was really well organised and the students union building is easily accessible from a lot of different places on campus. They also handed out free water and crisps haha

Personally, my top choice is still Liverpool but objectively I like Sheffield the same amount so I would definitely recommend!
Original post by izzy4509x
hi! I only attended the politics talk but it was the best talk I've seen so far with 3 professors/teaching staff and 2 students all giving really good information about the course and Sheffield as a whole. Sheffield, like liverpool, feels like a really friendly place to live and cheap for students too. Sheffield is definitely pretty hilly but the main campus (at least where I was) feels a good mix of compact/all together and open and big. One of my fave things was how green the whole place is. It was really well organised and the students union building is easily accessible from a lot of different places on campus. They also handed out free water and crisps haha

Personally, my top choice is still Liverpool but objectively I like Sheffield the same amount so I would definitely recommend!

Hi @izzy4509x

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the open day on Saturday. As a History and Politics graduate myself, it's great to hear that you interested in studying Politics at university.

Meg

We do have another Open Day coming up on the 26th of November. Bookings our now open here https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/open-days.

If you have any questions, or anything that you would like to know specifically about Sheffield, just let me know

Meg :smile:
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi everyone,

Good luck to those who are waiting to hear back with offers, and congratulations to those who have received an offer already.

This Alumni account is run by four recent graduates who now all work for the university.

If anyone has any questions about any aspect of the University, let us know and we will do our best to help :smile:

Meg

Hi! I wanted to know about placement opportunities at Sheffield. I'm applying for biomed this year. How much does the uni help in finding placements and such? (I've heard a lot about how unis 'help students' but how does that work exactly?) I'd appreciate any info you have on the same.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Hi! I wanted to know about placement opportunities at Sheffield. I'm applying for biomed this year. How much does the uni help in finding placements and such? (I've heard a lot about how unis 'help students' but how does that work exactly?) I'd appreciate any info you have on the same.

Thanks! :smile:

Hi @sleep_supremacy,

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular area of biomed that you are particularly interested in, or is it the subject as a whole? 😀

Great question! Students are responsible for finding their own placement which ensures that it is related to the field that they personally are interested in. That being said, students are not left on their own during this process. At department level the personal tutor will be able to help guide you through the process as you would have been meeting with them regularly throughout your degree. They will be able to use their knowledge and connections in the Biomed field to recommend opportunities that align with your interests. In addition, Biomed placement years have been running for a while at Sheffield, so the department has very strong links with different labs and companies that repeatedly take placement students from Sheffield.

At University level, the careers service provides 1 to 1 sessions to help students finding placements, where they can suggest places for students to start their research. They also offer 1 to 1 sessions on interview technique and to go through CV's and covering letters to give students the best chance at securing that placement.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Meg
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @sleep_supremacy,

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular area of biomed that you are particularly interested in, or is it the subject as a whole? 😀

Great question! Students are responsible for finding their own placement which ensures that it is related to the field that they personally are interested in. That being said, students are not left on their own during this process. At department level the personal tutor will be able to help guide you through the process as you would have been meeting with them regularly throughout your degree. They will be able to use their knowledge and connections in the Biomed field to recommend opportunities that align with your interests. In addition, Biomed placement years have been running for a while at Sheffield, so the department has very strong links with different labs and companies that repeatedly take placement students from Sheffield.

At University level, the careers service provides 1 to 1 sessions to help students finding placements, where they can suggest places for students to start their research. They also offer 1 to 1 sessions on interview technique and to go through CV's and covering letters to give students the best chance at securing that placement.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Meg

Thank you so much for your answer, Meg! :smile:

Currently, I'm the most interested in cellular and molecular biology, though I enjoy the other aspects of biomed too.

I'm very happy to see that the placement process is so streamlined and smooth. And the 1-on-1 sessions also sound really helpful! :biggrin:

Thanks again, and if I have any other questions, I'll be sure to let you know! :smile:
Hi!

Ice breaker questions:

just received an offer! i applied for theoretical physics, and i study physics, maths, and further maths (:
how long did u have to wait for an offer?

Original post by archivisnt
just received an offer! i applied for theoretical physics, and i study physics, maths, and further maths (:
Original post by Umer90o787
how long did u have to wait for an offer?

3 weeks after i submitted my application!
Just got my offer to study Computer Science! First submitted my application on October 13th so to get it back so soon is honestly great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending