The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Does Kingston University monitor attendance?

I'm not trying to go to any lectures.
Hello. In need of help on your workload? get in touch

Original post by Anonymous
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Original post by antonym1
Hello. In need of help on your workload? get in touch

lol

All university monitor attendance, you may decide not to go to lecturers but that’s £9250 pounds of your money and education going down the drain so think wisely OP :rolleyes: :cool:
Original post by Mohammed_80
All university monitor attendance, you may decide not to go to lecturers but that’s £9250 pounds of your money and education going down the drain so think wisely OP :rolleyes: :cool:

bro there is no point going to IRL lectures when you can just watch it on youtube lol
bro there is no point going to IRL lectures when you can just watch it on youtube lol

Say that when you have to repay your loan my friend, and na not on YouTube I don’t think lecture materials published on YouTube.

They do monitor. Why even go to uni then?

I know right thank you

For the degree certificate that we get after completion, so that I can get jobs?

How many lectures do you think you can miss before they start getting on your case?

The course content for most degree across different universities are usually about the same. For maths in particular, it is the same as most other universities. So I can just watch YouTube lectures offered by other universities.
For the degree certificate that we get after completion, so that I can get jobs?

How many lectures do you think you can miss before they start getting on your case?

The course content for most degree across different universities are usually about the same. For maths in particular, it is the same as most other universities. So I can just watch YouTube lectures offered by other universities.

Learn to earn your degree not have it handed to you, you can’t even miss one lecture unless exceptional circumstances or cancellation no effort or failure to attend you’ll get kicked out either way. OP other university contents can either be outdated, nor have relevance to what your learning.

Hi Anonymous! Can't comment on your choice not to attend lectures :wink: but yes, Kingston does monitor attendance (in my experience anyway). We have the SEATs app and our ID cards, you have to log in or use your card to swipe in at the start of each class. If attendance drops below a certain per cent, I believe that would be escalated. I can't tell you what the impact of that would be for your specific course but if you are having any issues I'd recommend getting in touch with your personal tutor as soon as possible :smile:

Thanks
Daisy
Just to insert a reality check here...

I enrolled at Kingston in September. The University does indeed have the SEATs app which requires students to 'tap in' with their ID cards to each lecture. Students can also complete their 'check in' via the app on their mobile phone.

Now time for the reality check.

Lecturers and students alike have zero faith in the system. Students still obediently 'tap in' to demonstrate compliance, but lecturers are so unconfident in SEATs' reliability that they pass around scraps of paper on which students register their attendance. How archaic.

This happens in the lectures for all of my modules apart from one!

I don't want to think how many £000s SEATs costs Kingston, but the impression I, my fellow students and lecturers get is that it was an utter waste!

Who knows what happens to those scraps of paper! :dontknow: :grin:
Reply 12
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi Anonymous! Can't comment on your choice not to attend lectures :wink: but yes, Kingston does monitor attendance (in my experience anyway). We have the SEATs app and our ID cards, you have to log in or use your card to swipe in at the start of each class. If attendance drops below a certain per cent, I believe that would be escalated. I can't tell you what the impact of that would be for your specific course but if you are having any issues I'd recommend getting in touch with your personal tutor as soon as possible :smile:

Thanks
Daisy

What would happen in a situation where despite my low attendance, about 35%, I have high grades in my modules, 75% and up on each. What would I expect; would they not care, would I get some kind of warning, would they just kick me out? I'm in my first year
Original post by SamFolly
What would happen in a situation where despite my low attendance, about 35%, I have high grades in my modules, 75% and up on each. What would I expect; would they not care, would I get some kind of warning, would they just kick me out? I'm in my first year

Hi there!

Attendance is really important to help you with your studies and provides you benefits that you might not gain from just working at home with the university resources online. While attendance can be strict with international students, it is less for others as it is your responsibility to support your education. A warning should be expected and taken into consideration. I would recommend getting in touch with your lecture to express your concerns, that you still get high grades with low attendance, and to compromise on a plan for the next term.

I hope this was helpful and please let me know if you have any more questions!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending