The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Why Not Get a Head Start at Uni?

Although my first year of university is nearly complete (only a few more weeks left!), I remember exactly what it was like this time last year. On top of exam stress, I was worried whether I’d make friends at university, whether the course I chose was really the right one for me, and particularly whether I’d ‘settle in’ or not. Moving away from home felt like a massive jump - but at the same time, I didn’t want to be the one coming home only a couple weeks in saying I couldn’t hack it!

If you’re nervous about starting university this autumn, Kingston University’s Head Start programme might be the right thing for you. If you’re a Home Student with a Firm offer for an undergraduate course at Kingston University, you’ll be able to take part in our in-person events running in July and August, where you’ll meet fellow freshers, chat to current students and get a better understanding of what Kingston University has to offer. You’ll have opportunities to ask questions to staff, learn more about Kingston’s societies, as well as get (much needed!) advice on how to thrive on a student budget. All Head Start events are free of charge and, if you don’t live locally and want to attend a three-day event, you can sign up for two free nights of accommodation at our Seething Wells hall of residence. Financial support for travel costs can also be arranged, and breakfast and lunch are provided alongside the daily activities as well. 😊

Head Start is optional, but I know a lot of people on my course got a lot out of attending both the one-day and three-day events, as it helped them settle into the idea of living alone and commuting to the university every day. It’s also a good chance to look around Kingston itself for a few days, an get to grips with your basic surroundings (e.g. supermarkets, local shops, key bus routes) before moving here.

Whilst the in-person events are exclusively for Home students, if you’re an international applicant, a Head Start event will also be held online on the 5th September if you’re interested in improving your confidence and study skills before starting university later that month. All Head Start events can be booked as of right now so if you’re looking for something to do over the summer, why not start here?

Key Dates:

3-Day Events
12-14 July 2023
1-3 August 2023
9-11 August 2023
30 August - 1 September 2023

1-Day Events
20 July 2023 (Mature Learner Preparation Day)
24 August 2023

Head Start Online
5 September 2023

If you have any questions, whether it's about how to book or what to bring, just pop them down below and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Hope to see some of you here soon! :biggrin:

- Eve (Kingston Rep.)
(edited 11 months ago)
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing Eve :smile:
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending