The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Birkbeck vs Greenwich

Hi, I currently go to uni of Greenwich but got a clearing offer from birkbeck. Since birkbeck isn't included in the rankings I'm not sure what to make of it. However, I am commuting to London and since birkbeck is closer to kings Cross, it makes the commute about 30-45 minutes shorter. It is also a part of university of London so that's good. What do you guys think I should do. I will be studying psychology btw
Of course we don't need to too care about the rankings, probably as a minor reference only: BBK doesn't like to be involved in a couple of rankings (e.g. the Guardian), but still appears in some. E.g. in QS2023, BBK is ranked 39 in UK, Greenwich is 60+. In CWRU2022, BBK is 48 and Greenwich is 71. In THE2022, BBK is 41, Greenwich is 75; concerning psychology, BBK is 38, Greenwich is 69. Again, for minor reference only.

Yes, BBK is in Bloomsbury, great place for enjoying experience of London city life. Meanwhile, I believe you're aware that BBK is an evening-learning institution. Many students there are mature ones, and no matter they are at young age or mature age, most of them have full time or at least part-time job. If you like to engage with a 'traditional' student community (such as most of them are 18-22). You need to reconsider to join. My best friend is studying the second year in School of Law there at his 19. He enjoys a lot in BBK community, and getting along very good with mature classmates. Recently he encourages another good friend of us to join BBK psychology. That friend decides to join and will arrive London this Saturday.
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I currently go to uni of Greenwich but got a clearing offer from birkbeck. Since birkbeck isn't included in the rankings I'm not sure what to make of it. However, I am commuting to London and since birkbeck is closer to kings Cross, it makes the commute about 30-45 minutes shorter. It is also a part of university of London so that's good. What do you guys think I should do. I will be studying psychology btw

I've started at Birkbeck this month. So far it seems pretty good. It's not so much a traditional uni experience and I'm a commuter as well. There's a lot more younger students than I was expecting from everyone saying it's primarily a place for older students. There seems to be quite a lot of international students which is nice as there's a lot of diversity. I've been invited to tons of events in the first week. Teaching seems to be pretty good so far but I've only been there a week so can't comment too much.
Original post by Kitten689
I've started at Birkbeck this month. So far it seems pretty good. It's not so much a traditional uni experience and I'm a commuter as well. There's a lot more younger students than I was expecting from everyone saying it's primarily a place for older students. There seems to be quite a lot of international students which is nice as there's a lot of diversity. I've been invited to tons of events in the first week. Teaching seems to be pretty good so far but I've only been there a week so can't comment too much.

Would you say birkbeck is better for commuters than the other unis since it is evening only?
Original post by Anonymous
Would you say birkbeck is better for commuters than the other unis since it is evening only?

It really depends on where you're commuting from. It works well for me because of where I live. I'm studying part time two nights a week currently. I can fit it around work easily and it works well with transport times. You'd have to be comfortable leaving at 9/9:30 to the train station maybe later if you're staying in the library but that doesn't bother me.
It really depends on where you're commuting from. It works well for me because of where I live. I'm studying part time two nights a week currently. I can fit it around work easily and it works well with transport times. You'd have to be comfortable leaving at 9/9:30 to the train station maybe later if you're staying in the library but that doesn't bother me.

Opinion on it now?
Reply 6
Original post by niloomiloo
Opinion on it now?

I'm now one week into my second year. I'm still enjoying it. Some classes are much more interactive than others. You really have to invest in your own learning they will teach you skills but you have to apply them. You wont get spoon fed which seems to be the msin complaint i hear from other students. Every lecturer I've encountered has been very knowledgeable of their subject. They're supportive in terms of commuters as well. When there's been rail strikes learning is usually relocated to online.

Commuting I find pretty good as I usually do something fun on the way there. Like watch TV, scroll tiktok, read a non academic book. Complete my classes then I'm usually still in a mood to learn. So start the homework. Means I don't have to stress about it as it's usually done for the next class then. This year is two nights a week until Christmas then I go down to once a week for the rest of the academic year. It was the same last year. (Part time foundation years. Looking at 2-3 nights a week when I start my BA years.)

If you're feeling super motivated and can get room on the train in you could do some work then to. Or read through the prep you should've read 3 days ago!

Feel free to message me if you've got any questions. :smile:
I'm now one week into my second year. I'm still enjoying it. Some classes are much more interactive than others. You really have to invest in your own learning they will teach you skills but you have to apply them. You wont get spoon fed which seems to be the msin complaint i hear from other students. Every lecturer I've encountered has been very knowledgeable of their subject. They're supportive in terms of commuters as well. When there's been rail strikes learning is usually relocated to online.

Commuting I find pretty good as I usually do something fun on the way there. Like watch TV, scroll tiktok, read a non academic book. Complete my classes then I'm usually still in a mood to learn. So start the homework. Means I don't have to stress about it as it's usually done for the next class then. This year is two nights a week until Christmas then I go down to once a week for the rest of the academic year. It was the same last year. (Part time foundation years. Looking at 2-3 nights a week when I start my BA years.)

If you're feeling super motivated and can get room on the train in you could do some work then to. Or read through the prep you should've read 3 days ago!

Feel free to message me if you've got any questions. :smile:

Thanks for this. Can I ask what course are you doing?

And what do you think of the social scene there?
Reply 8
Original post by niloomiloo
Thanks for this. Can I ask what course are you doing?

And what do you think of the social scene there?

I'm studying Japanese. Socially I will say its probably more difficult than other unis to make friends. Especially if you commute. My degree is slightly different in that at some point youll probabl have the numbers of and meet up with near enough everyone in your class purely to practice language. However, if you're intending to live in London it's almost the same as any other London uni. You also can use facilities at some other universities. If you're living in student accommodation it will be much easier to find people to hang out with. Also keep in mind it's an evening uni. So you'll be busy on a night when most of your friends are probably free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending