The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

The "Indicative Maths test" for Univeristy of Liverpool (CompSci)

Hello there, this is my first post (please don't stone me)

Does anyone here have a clue on what the "Indicative Maths test" is?

I specifically encountered it here, but seemingly only when picking computer science w/ software development.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by Redrick_Schuart

I specifically encountered it here, but seemingly only when picking computer science w/ software development.

I saw your post earlier today, but haven't responded until now both because I don't have an answer and because I was hoping that somebody else would have.

It's very odd that they've not said anything about what the "Indicative Maths test" actually is.

I've looked all over their site, and the archived previous versions of the site (including the one at www.liv.ac.uk, the domain they used to use). Nothing. I couldn't find anything about it.

In the end I got sufficiently frustrated that I dropped an e-mail to their prospective student enquiries team to ask what the test is. If I get a response (other than the automated reply I've already received), I'll let you know.

Welcome to TSR, by the way. :smile:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Hi there!

Just to let you know I haven't encounter this before either, and I'm a little confused too! I assume it will be a test that you will test yours knowledge and skills in Maths to confirm that you have the ability to succeed on the course.

I'll drop an email to the department and get back to you as soon as possible :smile:

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

I've just received a reply from Liverpool to my request for more information about "the Applicant will be required to take the Indicative Maths test", as mentioned on the Computer Science with Software Development with a Year in Industry (UCAS code G611) specification. Their reply makes me think that either the person in the Admissions, Enquiries and Fulfilment office simply doesn't know, or that the university as a whole doesn't know.

Their reply was simply: "Are you able to let me know what qualifications you would be applying with so I can advise further on the Maths test?"

It's possible that what they mean by this is, "The test will vary according to the qualifications you're applying with, so we can't give any general guidance as to the nature of the test". However, I suspect that there is no test (it wasn't in the specification last year) and their plan is to simply come-up with something if and when the need arises.

Hopefully Malachy (@University of Liverpool Student Rep), who said they'd "drop an email to the department" will have more luck.
@Redrick_Schuart, I just received some information on this "Indicative Maths test" from Liverpool University which you might find useful:

The Mathematics test that is set for some of our Computer Science courses is aimed at students who do not have A-level Mathematics. These students will be offered to take our internal Mathematics test. Please note that if the student does not have A Level Maths they would require GCSE Grade 6 in Mathematics as well as taking the test.

The test consists of GCSE level material and students are given the option of taking mock tests before taking the final exam if you receive an invitation.

Information regarding the test will be sent to students shortly after the application has been assessed by the Admissions Team.

Note that they say that it's "GCSE level material" and that you need to have previously obtained a GCSE grade 6 in Mathematics anyway. So my guess is that they're expecting you to still be at GCSE grade 6 level (or above) and are essentially just trying to ensure that you haven't forgotten all your GCSE maths whilst doing non-mathematical A levels. (This all my assumption and I may be wrong.)
@DataVenia
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help through all this
Original post by DataVenia
@Redrick_Schuart, I just received some information on this "Indicative Maths test" from Liverpool University which you might find useful:

Note that they say that it's "GCSE level material" and that you need to have previously obtained a GCSE grade 6 in Mathematics anyway. So my guess is that they're expecting you to still be at GCSE grade 6 level (or above) and are essentially just trying to ensure that you haven't forgotten all your GCSE maths whilst doing non-mathematical A levels. (This all my assumption and I may be wrong.)

Hi there!

Thanks a lot - I didn't get a response yet, so I'm really glad you could provide such a detailed reply :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 7

Have you completed it? I have to do it and I’m very confused too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending