The Student Room Group

If I can't go to a uni for undergraduate degree, could I go to it as a postgraduate?

I wanted to apply to UCL and Cambridge. However, I do Maths physics and CTEC IT and those universities typically don't accept students with a CTEC. Therefore, I was wondering: Could I get my bachelor's degree at somewhere like Sheffield, York, Lancaster, Liverpool etc; and then go on to do my masters at Cambridge or UCL?
Yes you could! Might not be a bad idea to look now at the requirements for the Masters at the universities you are interested in, so you can make sure that your UG degree will meet them (and also that you can pick up any other desirables to make yourself a competitive candidate for the future).
Original post by mattjh-
I wanted to apply to UCL and Cambridge. However, I do Maths physics and CTEC IT and those universities typically don't accept students with a CTEC. Therefore, I was wondering: Could I get my bachelor's degree at somewhere like Sheffield, York, Lancaster, Liverpool etc; and then go on to do my masters at Cambridge or UCL?

Hi there,

I would say that you have your degree, at a good grade from a well-respected University (like those you mention in the post) then if you submit a high-quality application then there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to study somewhere like Cambridge or UCL for your master's! Best of luck in your studies :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by mattjh-

Yes, it's very common for students to do their undergraduate degree at one uni and postgrad degree(s) at another.

Note that Cambridge may consider someone with 2 A-levels and a CTEC - have you asked them directly what their policy is? I know they accept a BTEC and two A-levels for some of their courses (although you may be less competitive). Likewise for UCL, did they tell you directly they won't accept it?
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, it's very common for students to do their undergraduate degree at one uni and postgrad degree(s) at another.

Note that Cambridge may consider someone with 2 A-levels and a CTEC - have you asked them directly what their policy is? I know they accept a BTEC and two A-levels for some of their courses (although you may be less competitive). Likewise for UCL, did they tell you directly they won't accept it?

UCL made it quite clear that they wouldn’t even consider me, which I find quite ignorant. Cambridge haven’t replied to my email yet however, Oxford said they would consider me, though me being accepted is unlikely. I imagine Cambridge would have the same policy.
Original post by mattjh-
UCL made it quite clear that they wouldn’t even consider me, which I find quite ignorant. Cambridge haven’t replied to my email yet however, Oxford said they would consider me, though me being accepted is unlikely. I imagine Cambridge would have the same policy.

Well assuming you made it clear that the CTEC was being taken in addition to two A-levels, then I'd just wait for a response from Cambridge. The run up to results day and the immediate aftermath tends to be a pretty busy time of year for admissions. You still have plenty of time to get a response from them before the October deadline too :smile:

But otherwise as noted it's very possible and common for students to move between unis between undergrad and postgrad!
very common, though I would postpone thinking about this until the end of your second year.

I think often with Oxbridge and BTECs, for some subjects they accept them in principle but find that people with BTECs often (or even usually) don't meet the bar - an academic said this was the case with (might have been Maths &) CS at Oxford, saying that the MAT performance of people doing BTEC CS alongside A-level maths or etc. was usually too weak to get an interview. If you feel like you've got a very strong application, I would just take a punt. You have 4 other choices, one or two of which should be fairly safe.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending