The Student Room Group

Struggling to find a job, Help?

Hi all,

Is it normal to be struggling to get a job after completing uni? (Criminology undergraduate and Organised Crime masters)

I have relevant experience in jobs I'm applying for but unfortunately not been lucky to actually get an offer. I apply, get through to the assessment stages and then just unlucky because they find someone else better.

I've also applied for jobs that are around £19k but been unlucky with them too. I have secured a job for Virgin but its not what I'm interested in, just some help with income coming through.

I feel like if I don't get a job soon in the criminology/crime related fields I'll struggle later. Is that true?! I'm just stressed and worried about the future. Any help/advice will be good.

Thank you in advance
Original post by Hannah.2021
Hi all,

Is it normal to be struggling to get a job after completing uni? (Criminology undergraduate and Organised Crime masters)

I have relevant experience in jobs I'm applying for but unfortunately not been lucky to actually get an offer. I apply, get through to the assessment stages and then just unlucky because they find someone else better.

I've also applied for jobs that are around £19k but been unlucky with them too. I have secured a job for Virgin but its not what I'm interested in, just some help with income coming through.

I feel like if I don't get a job soon in the criminology/crime related fields I'll struggle later. Is that true?! I'm just stressed and worried about the future. Any help/advice will be good.

Thank you in advance

Hello,

First of all don't give up. I know it can feel daunting and it's really tough getting a no especially when you have been through all of the stages. Have you had any feedback from the recruiters that can help you in future interviews? It is great that you have something secured to help with income generation but don't give up on your dream job or role. Is it worth speaking to the careers department at your University to see if they can help in anyway? The right role is out there for you I'm sure.

Good luck!
Hi, I don't have any advice unfortunately but just want to let you know that i have also been struggling to find a job after university. I knew i was going to struggle due to how broad and theory based my degree (psychology) is, but just want to let you know that you are not alone!
Don't be disheartened, it really is just a numbers game unfortunately / down to luck & circumstances on the day - and most of us will face many rejections (whether at application or interview/AC stage) especially when first out of uni...

Generally make sure your CV is in top share and really emphasising all those key transferable skills you've built up - whether from your part time job or else other things like uni clubs & volunteering. You say you do get through to assessment stages- so that is actually already super positive :smile: a lot of people don't even get that far... Really think about the most important skills for the role in question and emphasise these in your interviews.

Also make use of online resources helping with CVs and interview tips!
Some tips for resources:

Kent University Careers site has lots of publicly accessible resources re interviews, practice tests etc.

And there is a great channel on YouTube called The Education Journey, with really good videos eg one on securing your first grad role -has a linked website too with posts about other personal development topics.
Hi all,

Thank you in advance

Unfortunately, it is extremely normal than it should be - with so many graduates out there, competition is extremely fierce and you have to do anything to make yourself stand out.
What is it that you want to do as a career - have you thought about Policing?
Hi all,

Thank you in advance

Id keep on applying. Dont give up hope.
If possible, get feedback from the places where you have applied. This feedback may help you when you go for your next job.
It might also be worth speaking to your careers department at uni to see if they can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending