The Student Room Group

Passport counter-signature

Hey, I don’t know if anyone has struggled with this before, but I can’t find anyone to counter sign my passport. It says it has to be someone that has known me for at least 2 years, is not related by birth or marriage, know me in as a colleague, neighbour or friend and have a “respectable job”. In the list I was given I don’t know anyone that would fit the criteria at all.

Has anyone else went through this? Any advice on what to would be appreciated. I’ve already called the passport office and they basically just told me that they couldn’t help and I just have to find someone.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi, have you considered asking a teacher/lecturer that you know? They are usually happy to assist and they will meet the criteria.
Reply 2
The UK passport list is pretty long now with professions like teachers and engineers too. I struggled with the Irish passport list which is more restricted and the person has to be contactable on a landline phone during working hours
Reply 3
Original post by SJP1664
Hi, have you considered asking a teacher/lecturer that you know? They are usually happy to assist and they will meet the criteria.

The last person I asked was a lecturer and she was rejected. When I phone the passport office, the guy told me it has to be a friend, colleague or neighbour that knows you socially and not just professionally. I’m really struggling because there’s literally no one I could ask. Thank you though!
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
The UK passport list is pretty long now with professions like teachers and engineers too. I struggled with the Irish passport list which is more restricted and the person has to be contactable on a landline phone during working hours

It is pretty long, and within that list I could only think of family that work in those sectors. All my friends are students or in fields that aren’t a part of that list. Thank you for your reply.
Original post by soph18xoxo
The last person I asked was a lecturer and she was rejected. When I phone the passport office, the guy told me it has to be a friend, colleague or neighbour that knows you socially and not just professionally. I’m really struggling because there’s literally no one I could ask. Thank you though!

Hi, Are you referring to a passport application? If so, I had similar issues a while back. I wrote to them and explained my situation. I believe they sent my passport application for enhanced security check and it went through. So, best advice I can give is: write, explain in detail, tell them what additional proof of ID you could supply. Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
There must be someone maybe even your parents know in one of these professions that know you on a personal level through them? Pub owner/licensee, solicitor, nurse, dentist.
Show them the list, they might think of someone you haven't.

Failing that contact them as state above and explain the situation, they can't just say they are unable to help you, push it further

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line
Reply 7
Original post by Cookie.Stars
Hi, Are you referring to a passport application? If so, I had similar issues a while back. I wrote to them and explained my situation. I believe they sent my passport application for enhanced security check and it went through. So, best advice I can give is: write, explain in detail, tell them what additional proof of ID you could supply. Hope that helps :smile:

Hi, yes I am. I’ll get in contact again and ask what else I can do. Thank you for your help!
Reply 8
Original post by JDSensations
There must be someone maybe even your parents know in one of these professions that know you on a personal level through them? Pub owner/licensee, solicitor, nurse, dentist.
Show them the list, they might think of someone you haven't.

Failing that contact them as state above and explain the situation, they can't just say they are unable to help you, push it further

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

My family couldn’t think of anyone either. Not sure why the list is so uptight anyway. I’ll get in contact with them again. Thank you!
Reply 9
Have an ask around your course as I'm a mature student and able to sign passports because of my job. It might not be someone you necessarily speak to all the time but I'd sign something for someone on my course but wouldn't know to offer if they didn't ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending