The Student Room Group

Where can I get help with funds?

So when I applied for student finance I got the minimum amount for my maintenance loan due to my parents having decent jobs, however my parents won't help me with any costs and it hardly covers my rent. the course I'm on is 4 days a week with an insane amount of course work outside of the days I'm in so balancing a job is simply impossible. I'm really starting to struggle and not sure what to do, does anyone have any advice?
Original post by AJNoah
So when I applied for student finance I got the minimum amount for my maintenance loan due to my parents having decent jobs, however my parents won't help me with any costs and it hardly covers my rent. the course I'm on is 4 days a week with an insane amount of course work outside of the days I'm in so balancing a job is simply impossible. I'm really starting to struggle and not sure what to do, does anyone have any advice?

Most unis offer bursary/hardship funds so see if you are eligible for those at your uni. Otherwise talk to your parents and ask them if they can at least send you £35 a week for food (as they will be saving at least that with you living away from home). If not, tell them you will have to move to a uni closer to home and move back in because you can't afford uni without their support.
Original post by AJNoah

Hi, I’m really sorry that you are going through this right now. I’ve got a few tips that might help:

Explore if your university offers financial aid or scholarships for students in your situation.

Try and speak to student support services and explain your situation, they might be able to give you better advice and direct you to the right person that might be able to help you.

Try to research into budgeting to help you finance effectively. Perhaps there are some things that you can cut out on that might help.

Try and see if there are flexible jobs that your university offers. My university offers temporary jobs that I can take on whenever I can, so perhaps yours does too? Working a few hours during the weekends or week can be really helpful.

Try and speak to your parents about them loaning you money and you can pay it back later. Show them evidence of your financial struggles and how it’s affecting your daily life. If a loan doesn’t work, then like the person above said, consider the option to move back home if it’s close to your university.

Perhaps your might be eligible for the independent student status if you are estranged from your parents.

Speak to your course tutors about your situation and perhaps they can give you some advice or help that will let you get a job during the weekends.

Consider taking a gap year and finding a job that will help you save money for when you go back to university.

You are not alone and there are people and resources to help you get through this challenging time. So don’t hesitate to reach out for help through your university.

Jainaba

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending