The Student Room Group

Advice for A-level drama devising?

we ' re doing devising at the moment in drama and i hate it so much . i hated it at gcse so i did a monologue to make it easier for myself , but now at A level theres the added pressure of not wanting to let the group down . there was already problems with the group so we actually split off into a pair , but i still hate it . we took ages to settle on a stimulus and story , and everything we make i just dont feel happy with . i dont dislike my acting , but i really dont feel confident in my acting when it comes to our devised piece . i want to feel confident in our piece and in my acting , especially since im playing the main role . does anybody have any tips , advice , or support when it comes to devising ? i know i cant be the only one who hates it
hi!

sorry to hear you're having some issues with devising..

im taking eduqas drama gcse atm and our C1 brecht piece is due in december.

since devising is such a large part of your A level coursework weighting its really important that you work with a group that you work well with since you'll find yourself spending a lot of your free time with them working on your piece. personally our group dynamic is decent, theres one guy that doesnt put in much effort and theres another girl who thinks shes a drama goddess or smth and tells us what to do all the time.

its gonna sound a bit harsh but you have two options, either talk to your partner and express your concerns about how you dont feel too confident and perhaps you could rethink your scene to put less weight on you or organise to move to another group. but since you already split off i think it mught be a bit difficult.

the main issue is, is that youre in a pair which makes it harder to split up roles and if you have a disagreement on something its harder to work things out since its 1 on 1.

i think the best thing to do is to get your teacher to work with you at break time. getting through gcse and a level drama alone unless youre a literal god at drama is going to be the defenition of a pain in the ass. drama being such a coursework heavy subject essentially means it has to be scoring high marks if you want a high grade.

in terms of advice, the best thing is to stay organised. have a script and chronologically plan out your scenes, write down whos doing what, what lighting you need etc. look at the scenes you have now and make sure that the workload is equal, since youre working in a pair its very easy to give one person 90% of the spotlight and the other person 10. if one person is doing more than the other youre practically giving them all the marks.

hopefully something here helps you, gl with your devising xxx
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by elaina the witch
hi!

sorry to hear you're having some issues with devising..

im taking eduqas drama gcse atm and our C1 brecht piece is due in december.

since devising is such a large part of your A level coursework weighting its really important that you work with a group that you work well with since you'll find yourself spending a lot of your free time with them working on your piece. personally our group dynamic is decent, theres one guy that doesnt put in much effort and theres another girl who thinks shes a drama goddess or smth and tells us what to do all the time.

its gonna sound a bit harsh but you have two options, either talk to your partner and express your concerns about how you dont feel too confident and perhaps you could rethink your scene to put less weight on you or organise to move to another group. but since you already split off i think it mught be a bit difficult.

the main issue is, is that youre in a pair which makes it harder to split up roles and if you have a disagreement on something its harder to work things out since its 1 on 1.

i think the best thing to do is to get your teacher to work with you at break time. getting through gcse and a level drama alone unless youre a literal god at drama is going to be the defenition of a pain in the ass. drama being such a coursework heavy subject essentially means it has to be scoring high marks if you want a high grade.

in terms of advice, the best thing is to stay organised. have a script and chronologically plan out your scenes, write down whos doing what, what lighting you need etc. look at the scenes you have now and make sure that the workload is equal, since youre working in a pair its very easy to give one person 90% of the spotlight and the other person 10. if one person is doing more than the other youre practically giving them all the marks.

hopefully something here helps you, gl with your devising xxx

thank you !! ill definitely speak to my teacher ab it because if anybody can help me the best its the teachers . honestly i think the worst part of it is that we ' re doing physical theatre , our chosen practitioner is gecko and it just feels so unnatural and its probably the furthest ive ever gone out of my comfort zone , not to mention theres pretty much no script to work with because gecko dont really use speech , working without a script is another challenge . ive been hesitant to talk to my teacher about it because i plan to apply for an acting course after sixth form and i want her to write my reference , but i want to show that im able to overcome challenges like this and work well in a group , but since theres already been problems with our group i dont want it to look as though im just unable to do group work .
you've probably heard this a million times but the only reason why the best students are the best is bc they ask for help and use their resources that they have at their disposal well. and her helping you shouldnt affect your reference at all, if anything she'll probably have more to write about you!

im no physical theatre expert but i rlly do relate with it feeling unnatural lmao, we're using brecht and ive heard my teacher say that i need to drop my inhibitions too many times💀

i found this video on gecko, hopefully its useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9fwO4RgpU
Reply 4
Original post by elaina the witch
you've probably heard this a million times but the only reason why the best students are the best is bc they ask for help and use their resources that they have at their disposal well. and her helping you shouldnt affect your reference at all, if anything she'll probably have more to write about you!

im no physical theatre expert but i rlly do relate with it feeling unnatural lmao, we're using brecht and ive heard my teacher say that i need to drop my inhibitions too many times💀

i found this video on gecko, hopefully its useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9fwO4RgpU

tysm youve been so helpful !!!! we did brecht last year and it rlly was an experience to say the least ... but it was exciting too and i hope youre having fun with it as well !!
Original post by cvffeemoon
tysm youve been so helpful !!!! we did brecht last year and it rlly was an experience to say the least ... but it was exciting too and i hope youre having fun with it as well !!

no problem! :3 i'd say its going well for now but our group is a little meh, im the only one putting in any effort to organise rehearsals outside of class but apart from that we work well in class.

brecht is really fun and luckily his techniques are easy to work with

Quick Reply

Latest