The Student Room Group

Medicine resit reapplicants 2023

Hey :smile:
I’m on a gap year currently reapplying to medicine. I got A*A*B last yr ( B in chem )
So I am resitting that this year .
I received 3 post interview rejections and one offer at UEA but it’s an A* which I think is unlikely for me in chem :frown: I thought I’d make a thread with people who are maybe in a similar situation so we can share tips and thought and all . This is such a stressful process and doing a gap year and facing rejections again is very tough and I feel like it’ll be nice to talk to people who relate .
Please add any users who are in this scenario so we can help and be a support to each other !! Also post ur stories too if you want :smile:
@Rip pele @lance1524 @fes810 @Aryamehr19212
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm actually year 13, just very afraid that I won't get an A* in bio/chem. My exam board for chem (OCR A) has wacky high grade boundaries and I just struggle with aqa biology. Mark scheme is horrendous lol would love tips for bio.
Reply 2
Original post by lance1524
I'm actually year 13, just very afraid that I won't get an A* in bio/chem. My exam board for chem (OCR A) has wacky high grade boundaries and I just struggle with aqa biology. Mark scheme is horrendous lol would love tips for bio.

i do ocr a chem and aqa bio too! chem grade boundaries are the absolute worst
Reply 3

Omds same I did AQA bio and am doing ocr chem that’s why I’m scared abt the A* cos ocr grade boundraries are HIGH :frown: If you want tips for bio id say common stuff like doing past paper questions also bio with Olivia notes are really good ( think they cost a bit for yr2 but worth it imo) also just really consolidate ur knowledge I think more than chem (which probs needs more past paper qs) with bio make sure you kkow the content like super well and then it’s just applying it in the exam and logical thinking. If u have any qs lmk:smile: I love bio (I also got an A* in econ if anyones doing that ) but yeah I’m just **** at chem 😭😭😭
Reply 4
im actually in y13 just worried about my A in chem haha
Original post by maple26
Omds same I did AQA bio and am doing ocr chem that’s why I’m scared abt the A* cos ocr grade boundraries are HIGH :frown: If you want tips for bio id say common stuff like doing past paper questions also bio with Olivia notes are really good ( think they cost a bit for yr2 but worth it imo) also just really consolidate ur knowledge I think more than chem (which probs needs more past paper qs) with bio make sure you kkow the content like super well and then it’s just applying it in the exam and logical thinking. If u have any qs lmk:smile: I love bio (I also got an A* in econ if anyones doing that ) but yeah I’m just **** at chem 😭😭😭

Oh ok, its just that i'm worried that I don't have enough time left. Would you say I should just rush exam questions by topic on physics and maths tutor instead, then go onto past papers and make sure I try and learn as much content as possible?
Original post by fes810

As in you're worried that you won't get an A in chem or you gotta get an A*? If it's an A I think it's definitely achievable just by past paper questions alone, the more you do the more you realise your average will go up lol. Just identify your weaknesses and work on them, go spec point by spec point and make sure there's no gaps in your knowledge. OCR A chem is super nice when you get used to it, takes a little bit of luck and skill to bag the A* though.
Reply 7
Oh ok, its just that i'm worried that I don't have enough time left. Would you say I should just rush exam questions by topic on physics and maths tutor instead, then go onto past papers and make sure I try and learn as much content as possible?

🤔tbh what worked for me was just learning content . It’s not like chem tbh . Cos some of the questions won’t be common ones they’ll be application so completely new . I’d say split ur time 50/50 focus on learning all the content and then slowly start doing practice papers as many as you can. If u know the content when you do papers you’ll be able to use ur knowledge and logical reasoning to get to the answer . That said past papers are VERY important so make sure you do a lot before the exams . All in all yeah just focus on both with a bit more priority on learning content imo
Reply 8
Original post by fes810

Oh sorry I invited so many people on the thread who aren’t even reapplicants 😭😭
Original post by maple26
🤔tbh what worked for me was just learning content . It’s not like chem tbh . Cos some of the questions won’t be common ones they’ll be application so completely new . I’d say split ur time 50/50 focus on learning all the content and then slowly start doing practice papers as many as you can. If u know the content when you do papers you’ll be able to use ur knowledge and logical reasoning to get to the answer . That said past papers are VERY important so make sure you do a lot before the exams . All in all yeah just focus on both with a bit more priority on learning content imo

Yeah tbf I was doing some exam questions and the ones where I had content nailed, I found way easier. Ty for all the advice!!
As in you're worried that you won't get an A in chem or you gotta get an A*? If it's an A I think it's definitely achievable just by past paper questions alone, the more you do the more you realise your average will go up lol. Just identify your weaknesses and work on them, go spec point by spec point and make sure there's no gaps in your knowledge. OCR A chem is super nice when you get used to it, takes a little bit of luck and skill to bag the A* though.

fortunately i only need an A, just feeling demotivated because i got a C and a B in my mocks but ive got As on all the past papers ive done at home so staying positive :smile:
Last year I actually got an offer but then flunked chem:s-smilie: and now I need an A* in it.

I've been properly revising since about January and quit my gap year job(carer) in February and I was actually quite surprised at the pace of progress going from like 40% in mocks to 70s in that timeframe but now I'm kinda stuck at that level.

My entire revision method is just rereading and rewriting the textbook and then doing a mock under exam conditions for recall but tbh that just isn't cutting it however I don't even know how else I can revise effectively. What do you lot do for revision?

Worst thing about it though is that I feel like bloody squidward lol the days are so cyclical; just wake up, go gym, buy groceries, pick up my brother and then do nowt at home for ages and then revise for a while. Honestly if I knew how boring my gap year was going to be I might have just accepted biomed to try for grad entry or went to East Europe.
Reply 12
Original post by Rip pele
Last year I actually got an offer but then flunked chem:s-smilie: and now I need an A* in it.

I've been properly revising since about January and quit my gap year job(carer) in February and I was actually quite surprised at the pace of progress going from like 40% in mocks to 70s in that timeframe but now I'm kinda stuck at that level.

My entire revision method is just rereading and rewriting the textbook and then doing a mock under exam conditions for recall but tbh that just isn't cutting it however I don't even know how else I can revise effectively. What do you lot do for revision?

Worst thing about it though is that I feel like bloody squidward lol the days are so cyclical; just wake up, go gym, buy groceries, pick up my brother and then do nowt at home for ages and then revise for a while. Honestly if I knew how boring my gap year was going to be I might have just accepted biomed to try for grad entry or went to East Europe.

I totally totally get this :frown: my days feel so boring it just repeats. I also had offers last year I had 3 and this year I have 1 soooo i defo feel like regret and stuff but trying not to think abt the past . I need an A* in chem too and I know the grade boundraries are so high :frown: i haven’t done past papers yet tbh I’m going over content try watching yt videos like machemguy? I’m super stressed cos I okie it’s unlikely for me to achieve an A* isn’t it like 86% each paper ?! And I’m worried about doing ANOTHER year like the stress:frown: how are you feeling tho
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by maple26
I totally totally get this :frown: my days feel so boring it just repeats. I also had offers last year I had 3 and this year I have 1 soooo i defo feel like regret and stuff but trying not to think abt the past . I need an A* in chem too and I know the grade boundraries are so high :frown: i haven’t done past papers yet tbh I’m going over content try watching yt videos like machemguy? I’m super stressed cos I okie it’s unlikely for me to achieve an A* isn’t it like 86% each paper ?! And I’m worried about doing ANOTHER year like the stress:frown: how are you feeling tho

Feel the same as you tbh somewhere between apathetic and sick to my stomache but honestly I reckon it is doable if we put the work in... big if though
Reply 14
Feel the same as you tbh somewhere between apathetic and sick to my stomache but honestly I reckon it is doable if we put the work in... big if though

Yeah honestly I’m so done . I keep breaking down cos the % of A*s in chem is soo low :frown: BUT if someone can do it why can’t we uno ? There are people who get A*s in chem whilst doing three subjects . And we have two months and just one subject that’s jt . If we focus on it we can get an A* I think honestly it’s the mindset. I know it’s easy to feel like giving up but we’re almost there just one last push and we can do Medicine this year :smile: regardless we have to sit the exam this summer let’s get an A*!!!

Have you tried explaining some of the concepts to some people? Sometimes this helps as it is proof that you really understand the subject.
Also try getting some tips from study YouTubers
Original post by maple26
Yeah honestly I’m so done . I keep breaking down cos the % of A*s in chem is soo low :frown: BUT if someone can do it why can’t we uno ? There are people who get A*s in chem whilst doing three subjects . And we have two months and just one subject that’s jt . If we focus on it we can get an A* I think honestly it’s the mindset. I know it’s easy to feel like giving up but we’re almost there just one last push and we can do Medicine this year :smile: regardless we have to sit the exam this summer let’s get an A*!!!

Unless the paper is hella easy, I think the grade boundaries are looking at low 80s imo. 2019 was an exception; paper wasn't "too" bad compared to other years and the whole cohort performed v well across the board hence the super high grade boundary.
If you haven't already got them, get some chemsheets for the qualitative chemistry topics. They're literal lifesavers in getting full marks on mathsy questions. I think a website called chemrevise also has a really good set of notes for chem which you can rely on. After that literally just bang out past papers and you'll be averaging high 70s low 80s. It's just a matter of knowing the content and not making any silly mistakes; I know that's why I didn't get an A* in my previous mocks. Got 79% overall which wasn't bad going as I just spammed past papers and hoped for the best.
Unless the paper is hella easy, I think the grade boundaries are looking at low 80s imo. 2019 was an exception; paper wasn't "too" bad compared to other years and the whole cohort performed v well across the board hence the super high grade boundary.
If you haven't already got them, get some chemsheets for the qualitative chemistry topics. They're literal lifesavers in getting full marks on mathsy questions. I think a website called chemrevise also has a really good set of notes for chem which you can rely on. After that literally just bang out past papers and you'll be averaging high 70s low 80s. It's just a matter of knowing the content and not making any silly mistakes; I know that's why I didn't get an A* in my previous mocks. Got 79% overall which wasn't bad going as I just spammed past papers and hoped for the best.

By chemsheets do you mean past paper questions?
omg i get u guys so much. i’m resitting chem this year too but not for med lol. i feel so unmotivated, everyone gone to uni and i’m here at home :/
also, we’ll be paying student debt for 40 years now instead of 30. makes me so depressed and like i don’t even wanna go uni, could’ve avoided by going last year. i just feel drained and like a bit of an idiot
By chemsheets do you mean past paper questions?

no. you can get these booklets/sheets from a website called chemsheets and they have questions sorted by topics but I found them very useful to complete before I did any past paper questions especially for acids bases and buffers. I got mine through my teachers, they are brilliant in mastering the harder mathsy questions in chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending