The Student Room Group

Food Tech NEA 2 final evaluation

hello so basically my nea 2 final evaluation needs doing but im struggling SOO BAD to figure out, my teacher is too vague about it on the presentation and i cant just go and talk to her as im in an EBSA group and do coursework there instead (its complicated LOL) anyways yeah i dont know what shes asking of me but i do, i think the wording is just weird, also how long does it have to be? im just so confused LOL pls help me
hii, what exam board do you do? sorry for the late reply. I am doing quite well in food, in fact I'm a predicted grade 8. Here are a few things I do to boost my grade. I do AQA
here are some general rules I do that can boost a grade
1. Use sensory words and refer back to them (sensory words like link to texture, taste, aroma and appearance)when explaining choices in dishes or evaluation (making a judgement on your choices and your final dish) and ALWAYS REFER TO THIS
for example: I decide stir the sauce at low heat so that the sauce wouldn't be lumpy and have a smooth consistency which will improve the tasters experience.
2. Use food tech terminology/process .This will show the examiner you know your stuff!
for example: I decided to add cornflour to the sauce to thicken it and make it VISCOUS, as I know that cornflour has a high starch content.
I suggest if you don't know the science behind your dishes that you read your food tech textbook or go online and search for an online copy. It's okay to copy of some of it in your work as long as you credit it in your bibliography.
3. Make criticisms in your work: when explaining your trials make sure you note down your areas of improvements.
e.g. When I made the sauce for my fish based on the results of the sensory evaluation, the texture had the lowest marks. This was because I added too much lemon juice which made sauce runny. NEXT TIME, I will add lemon juice in a smaller amount.
4. As you can clearly seen in my questions refer to the taster !!!

I hope understand the gist this very vague explanation and I hope u get a good grade, you have got this !! - Fran ♡♡♡
(p.s. I still haven't finished my coursework lmao)
Original post by scammed2myheart
hii, what exam board do you do? sorry for the late reply. I am doing quite well in food, in fact I'm a predicted grade 8. Here are a few things I do to boost my grade. I do AQA
here are some general rules I do that can boost a grade
1. Use sensory words and refer back to them (sensory words like link to texture, taste, aroma and appearance)when explaining choices in dishes or evaluation (making a judgement on your choices and your final dish) and ALWAYS REFER TO THIS
for example: I decide stir the sauce at low heat so that the sauce wouldn't be lumpy and have a smooth consistency which will improve the tasters experience.
2. Use food tech terminology/process .This will show the examiner you know your stuff!
for example: I decided to add cornflour to the sauce to thicken it and make it VISCOUS, as I know that cornflour has a high starch content.
I suggest if you don't know the science behind your dishes that you read your food tech textbook or go online and search for an online copy. It's okay to copy of some of it in your work as long as you credit it in your bibliography.
3. Make criticisms in your work: when explaining your trials make sure you note down your areas of improvements.
e.g. When I made the sauce for my fish based on the results of the sensory evaluation, the texture had the lowest marks. This was because I added too much lemon juice which made sauce runny. NEXT TIME, I will add lemon juice in a smaller amount.
4. As you can clearly seen in my questions refer to the taster !!!

I hope understand the gist this very vague explanation and I hope u get a good grade, you have got this !! - Fran ♡♡♡
(p.s. I still haven't finished my coursework lmao)

hii, I also do AQA and was wondering which brief you chose. Also our teacher just introduced another section thats planning for the final menu but I'm not too sure what to do for it and its due in a few days so could you give some advice on that
Original post by za.abd4301
hii, I also do AQA and was wondering which brief you chose. Also our teacher just introduced another section thats planning for the final menu but I'm not too sure what to do for it and its due in a few days so could you give some advice on that

I chose the North/South American theme. How has your teacher ONLY introduced you to section C (planning final dishes) now?? that is soo crazy, i literally finished my coursework weeks ago (anyways enough of me getting outraged lol).
Here is what I did for my planning final dishes:
1. Have 8 (or more) possible dishes in your section b
2. See if you have included all of them in your research section (section a)
3. Choose which THREE dishes you want to make in the final 3 hour exam (make sure you choose something that is of high skill and has a lot of processes (if not then you can add a side for example to boost that skill), that links to the trial dishes (by same ingredient for example). It has to be either: 2 desserts, one savoury OR 2 savoury, one dessert
4. Explain step 3 (e.g. say why you choose it like: i choose to make a lemon meringue pie as it involved me to make a meringue which is diffcult to do as it involves me to separate whites from yolks and blah blah blah (you get the gist)
5. Make a time plan : basically list all the things you are going to do in the 3 hour and what you are going to do in each step and how long do you think each step is. (e.g. at 8:30 am (or whenever you exam starts) Slice peppers thinly for the taco. I will make sure to use a green chopping board to avoid contamination - this is a HSH (or health, safety and hygiene point - you need to list this throughout as well as QP- quality point (which is a thing you do to improve one of the sensory words of a dish) (e.g. Soak the peppers in salted cold water so it keeps it colour for appearance) and lastly, C- contingency (what will you do if something doesn't go according to plan) (e.g. If peppers are rotten, I can use some pimentos)
6. Make sure to list key items you will need in the the final

Hope you can finish you coursework in time and I hope this helps,
:smile:
don't mind the excessive brackets
I chose the North/South American theme. How has your teacher ONLY introduced you to section C (planning final dishes) now?? that is soo crazy, i literally finished my coursework weeks ago (anyways enough of me getting outraged lol).
3. Choose which THREE dishes you want to make in the final 3 hour exam (make sure you choose something that is of high skill and has a lot of processes (if not then you can add a side for example to boost that skill), that links to the trial dishes (by same ingredient for example). It has to be either: 2 desserts, one savoury OR 2 savoury, one dessert
4. Explain step 3 (e.g. say why you choose it like: i choose to make a lemon meringue pie as it involved me to make a meringue which is diffcult to do as it involves me to separate whites from yolks and blah blah blah (you get the gist)
5. Make a time plan : basically list all the things you are going to do in the 3 hour and what you are going to do in each step and how long do you think each step is. (e.g. at 8:30 am (or whenever you exam starts) Slice peppers thinly for the taco. I will make sure to use a green chopping board to avoid contamination - this is a HSH (or health, safety and hygiene point - you need to list this throughout as well as QP- quality point (which is a thing you do to improve one of the sensory words of a dish) (e.g. Soak the peppers in salted cold water so it keeps it colour for appearance) and lastly, C- contingency (what will you do if something doesn't go according to plan) (e.g. If peppers are rotten, I can use some pimentos)

thank you so much this was so helpful, I literally have no clue we switched teachers this year (shes better than the one we had last year that one taught us nothing???) I've done most of the things you've mentioned its because our teacher did them all in a strange order and we got our practical exam pushed back we did it in march instead of feb cause we had mocks after winter hols?? but thank you so much againn <33

also how do you think you did for NEA1? mine was horrible our teacher gave us back our marks a week back but shes giving us a few days after we complete NEA2 to go back and add more or change it
also how do you think you did for NEA1? mine was horrible our teacher gave us back our marks a week back but shes giving us a few days after we complete NEA2 to go back and add more or change it

Unfortunately I don't have feedback from both NEAs. We handed both of them in on the 28th of March and we are getting them literally on the day we return to school.
But I feel like that the NEA 1 for me, lacked pictures of the experiment but other than that I felt like my work is okay. I will give feedback on my work when i get it. :smile:
thank you so much this was so helpful, I literally have no clue we switched teachers this year (shes better than the one we had last year that one taught us nothing???) I've done most of the things you've mentioned its because our teacher did them all in a strange order and we got our practical exam pushed back we did it in march instead of feb cause we had mocks after winter hols?? but thank you so much againn <33

Same my teacher had hip surgery and was out for months and we had this other teacher who was a bit dramatic but got the work done and gave us harsh criticisms which improved our work. Honestly when I did my last mock NEA 2 in year 10 I got 39/70 which was okay but terrible in my eyes and I lost most of the marks because I didn't elaborate properly and have structure. (and my teacher took 10% off my score because I handed to her late, so stingy!!! so technically I got 46.

Quick Reply

Latest