The Student Room Group

Getting a grade 9 in GSCE-DT. Is it hard?

Is it hard to get a grade 9 in GCSE-DT? What resources to use for preparation.

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Soann83

Thank you in advance.

Well, it's sufficiently hard that only 4.3% of Design and Technology GCSEs were grade 9 in the June 2023 exams.

(I have no advice as to resources / preparation, unfortunately.)
Original post by Soann83

Thank you in advance.

hii im in y11 and not to jinx anything but i dont think its too bad. half the stuff is your nea and if you sweat it out and get a 9 on the NEA then youre guaranteed like a 5 already without even doinf thr written paper. most of the written paper is common sence icl (talking ab past papers) and its js waffling about the 6Rs and stuff SOOOOOO i think you and i can do it :smile:
Reply 3
In year 12 now and got a 9 in GCSE DT so can speak to this with a fair level of personal experience. Which type of DT are you doing? (i.e. metalwork, woodwork, textiles, etc...?)
Reply 4
Original post by KWad
In year 12 now and got a 9 in GCSE DT so can speak to this with a fair level of personal experience. Which type of DT are you doing? (i.e. metalwork, woodwork, textiles, etc...?)
hi! Ours is mainly woodwork what do you recommend doing for the nea? I'm doing playing games and am struggling to find original ideas , what did you make?
Reply 5
Ah you did woodwork that's great. I did the same thing. Edexcel?
Reply 6
I don't think I can give you any specific ideas for the NEA but I can give you some tips as to how to think of some unique ideas yourself:

- Talk to your client!!! They know exactly what they want and even if you don't necessarily do as they instruct you, it can be a helpful guide.
- For your first design iterations go as imaginative and whacky as you can, even if you think the idea is stupid or not technically feasible (obviously don't design a spaceship or something but you get what I mean)
- Talk to your teacher: if they have a good level of experience they will have guided hundreds of NEAs throughout their teaching careers already and will know what will and won't work. Also, they are the ones that give you the final grade for the NEA so making them feel like they had some sort of valuable input into the project may lead to a slightly better mark
- Research other related products online - it may get you to think about what is and isn't a good idea and can help to reduce design fixation
- Don't overcomplicate it: trust me by the time manufacturing time rolls around you will start wondering why it takes you a whole lesson to mitre a few pieces of timber

I got 100% on my coursework so if you want any more advice I'm happy to help.
Reply 7
Hey, @KWad could I have some help with my NEA? My context is encouraging STEM learning so I want to get one of the DT dep's teachers as my client - is this a good idea? Also, can I see the parts of your coursework that you think are the best so I can get some inspiration? Many thanks!
Original post by Soann83

Thank you in advance.

I got a 9 in GCSE DT 2 years ago, personally I thought it was really easy. The written paper was largely common sense and for your coursework the most important thing is to evaluate all your ideas and show a progression to the final product!!
Reply 9
Original post by anonymous help
I got a 9 in GCSE DT 2 years ago, personally I thought it was really easy. The written paper was largely common sense and for your coursework the most important thing is to evaluate all your ideas and show a progression to the final product!!

I agree. I did basically no revision for the paper (tbf I bottled it) but got 100% in the coursework so that made up for it.
Reply 10
Original post by alex.hardi
Hey, @KWad could I have some help with my NEA? My context is encouraging STEM learning so I want to get one of the DT dep's teachers as my client - is this a good idea? Also, can I see the parts of your coursework that you think are the best so I can get some inspiration? Many thanks!

Hm, encouraging STEM learning...

I mean the prompt is a bit ambiguous to be fair but I would think that you are supposed to be encouraging STEM learning in a student? Not a person who in a sense already works in STEM? It's not a bad idea to be fair but I personally think that having a teacher as a client might make your job easier rather than harder. Not to mention it would probably raise a few eyebrows if your coursework is chosen for inspection by the exam board. At the end of the day its your coursework so your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it. Talk to your teacher though, see what they think.

Also, yeah I don't mind sending you my coursework but I will have to delete a few slides because they have faces and names on them. Send me a dm on TSR if you want me to send it to you.

Quick Reply

Latest