The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Durham vs Bath vs Manchester for Maths

Hi! I have offers for Maths at Warwick, Durham, Bath and Manchester and am predicted 3A*.

In terms of living, I'd rather be in Durham or Bath. I know that Warwick has the strongest department out of these, but it seems very very intense and - for a campus that I'm not really fond of - I'm not sure if its worth it (plus its 3A*).

But is Durham's course considered better than Bath/Manchester for Maths? It needs higher grades than them so I'd have to firm it if put it as one of my choices. But I haven't seen good things on TSR... I don't want to work in finance, and would like the option to go into academia after my degree (but would also consider industry).

Any ideas on what a good firm/insurance combo would be? I'm not completely ruling out Warwick. Thanks :smile:
Original post by b.mandelbrot
Hi! I have offers for Maths at Warwick, Durham, Bath and Manchester and am predicted 3A*.

In terms of living, I'd rather be in Durham or Bath. I know that Warwick has the strongest department out of these, but it seems very very intense and - for a campus that I'm not really fond of - I'm not sure if its worth it (plus its 3A*).

But is Durham's course considered better than Bath/Manchester for Maths? It needs higher grades than them so I'd have to firm it if put it as one of my choices. But I haven't seen good things on TSR... I don't want to work in finance, and would like the option to go into academia after my degree (but would also consider industry).

Any ideas on what a good firm/insurance combo would be? I'm not completely ruling out Warwick. Thanks :smile:

warrick > durham. But if you don't like warrick then durham is the better option.
Original post by bk02012007
warrick > durham. But if you don't like warrick then durham is the better option.

Thanks! So would you say firm Durham and insure, for example, Bath if I decided not to go for Warwick?
Original post by b.mandelbrot
Thanks! So would you say firm Durham and insure, for example, Bath if I decided not to go for Warwick?

durham should ultimately be your goal if warrick is not what u want. trust me career wise ur better off going to durham. To insure id go with manchester over bath!
For academia any of those four will do, although I suspect Warwick may offer the best range of options out of the three.

@_gcx may be able to give some insight into the Warwick course.
Reply 5
Why do you say Manchester over Bath?
Original post by bk02012007
durham should ultimately be your goal if warrick is not what u want. trust me career wise ur better off going to durham. To insure id go with manchester over bath!

Quick Reply

Latest