The Student Room Group

Scottish Sides in European Super League

Scottish Sides in European Super League.
I would love to see Scottish sides in a European Super League.
I think Aberdeen, Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Dundee United, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian are big enough to reach the lower divisions of a European Super League.
My view is a European Super League should be three hierarchical divisions of 18 each.
With two West and East divisions of 18 each, below that.
Plus relegation and promotion into and out of each divisions and of the European Super League.
I think we need to change European football, so the clubs from the smaller countries can compete.
Original post by VoxPoxNumber
Scottish Sides in European Super League.
I would love to see Scottish sides in a European Super League.
I think Aberdeen, Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Dundee United, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian are big enough to reach the lower divisions of a European Super League.
My view is a European Super League should be three hierarchical divisions of 18 each.
With two West and East divisions of 18 each, below that.
Plus relegation and promotion into and out of each divisions and of the European Super League.
I think we need to change European football, so the clubs from the smaller countries can compete.

No, only Celtic and Rangers would be comparable, and very much at the lower end of the 54 teams selected. A sample might include the likes of Hamburg, Sporting Lisbon, Besiktas, PSV Eindhoven of the kind of teams they'd be grouped with. No offence to Dundee Utd, but they are an afterthought and would struggle to get into the top 100 clubs...

And dont forget, the novelty would wear off. Would Rangers fans be interested in travelling to Eindhoven for a Tuesday game one week. Cologne the week after and Istanbul then? They would lose interest quickly. Never mind the money this would cost. Would fans be interested in watching some crap Turkish left back compete with them every week? They'd long for Aberdeen games after a while.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zürich
No, only Celtic and Rangers would be comparable, and very much at the lower end of the 54 teams selected. A sample might include the likes of Hamburg, Sporting Lisbon, Besiktas, PSV Eindhoven of the kind of teams they'd be grouped with. No offence to Dundee Utd, but they are an afterthought and would struggle to get into the top 100 clubs...

And dont forget, the novelty would wear off. Would Rangers fans be interested in travelling to Eindhoven for a Tuesday game one week. Cologne the week after and Istanbul then? They would lose interest quickly. Never mind the money this would cost. Would fans be interested in watching some crap Turkish left back compete with them every week? They'd long for Aberdeen games after a while.

Travelling to away games is much more of a British thing.
Americans obviously have huge distances between teams. Even in Italy, I saw that travelling figures / number of away fans is low outside the big teams/big games.
Can just watch away games on TV :colondollar:
Original post by Zerforax
Travelling to away games is much more of a British thing.
Americans obviously have huge distances between teams. Even in Italy, I saw that travelling figures / number of away fans is low outside the big teams/big games.
Can just watch away games on TV :colondollar:

That's fair not alot go to aways anyway but the point stands
I dislike certain teams in England and find it funny when rivals lose often but why on earth would I care about Napoli getting spanked by Leverkusesen or some ****?
The novalty would wear off very quickly
Original post by Zürich
That's fair not alot go to aways anyway but the point stands
I dislike certain teams in England and find it funny when rivals lose often but why on earth would I care about Napoli getting spanked by Leverkusesen or some ****?
The novalty would wear off very quickly

I think it's more that each of the European sides have bigger fan bases so viewing figures for Napoli vs Leverkusen will be higher than Napoli playing 20th place in Serie A.

The world is getting smaller with technology. Domestic leagues are mainly there for historical reasons. There is a reason why the World Cup is so popular - because the viewing numbers are so huge.

Quick Reply

Latest