The Student Room Group

Should I take the offer? UBS Global Markets (IB) Degree Apprenticeship

I am currently in year 13, and I want to take the degree apprenticeship route which was why I'd applied to law and finance based apprenticeships. I recently got an offer from UBS for a degree apprenticeship in Global Markets (as part of investment banking). I am mostly worried about pay as the starting salary of £27,000 seemed amazing until I realised that it was not going to be increasing, and I've heard bad things about career progression/salary later down the road. Can someone who has experience in the industry tell me a little bit more about what I can expect from completing the programme, and ultimately whether it would be worth investing my effort in this opportunity? Thank you!
Hi!
sorry Im not too sure about whether it’s best or not as I am also having the same dilemma but i did not realise that the salary didn’t increase, was that in your contract? I’m yet to receive my contract but I know the starting is 27,000 plus £1000 housing allowance. Do they only promote you after finishing the degree itself. I applied to the tech apprenticeship btw. The non increasing salary would really put me off if i know other offers may increase to the same level and give more benefits
What would be the salary post degree apprenticeship?
Original post by toxicgamage56
I am currently in year 13, and I want to take the degree apprenticeship route which was why I'd applied to law and finance based apprenticeships. I recently got an offer from UBS for a degree apprenticeship in Global Markets (as part of investment banking). I am mostly worried about pay as the starting salary of £27,000 seemed amazing until I realised that it was not going to be increasing, and I've heard bad things about career progression/salary later down the road. Can someone who has experience in the industry tell me a little bit more about what I can expect from completing the programme, and ultimately whether it would be worth investing my effort in this opportunity? Thank you!
Original post by Mikhail Bali
What would be the salary post degree apprenticeship?

To be honest, I have no idea. My best guess is somewhere in the range of £50-60k since I'd technically be accessing graduate roles idk.
What GCSEs and a level grades did you receive in order to secure a contract? Also what a level subjects?
Original post by toxicgamage56
To be honest, I have no idea. My best guess is somewhere in the range of £50-60k since I'd technically be accessing graduate roles idk.
Original post by yupyupp
Hi!
sorry Im not too sure about whether it’s best or not as I am also having the same dilemma but i did not realise that the salary didn’t increase, was that in your contract? I’m yet to receive my contract but I know the starting is 27,000 plus £1000 housing allowance. Do they only promote you after finishing the degree itself. I applied to the tech apprenticeship btw. The non increasing salary would really put me off if i know other offers may increase to the same level and give more benefits

thats a great offer and i would not turn it down. Take the degree, take the work experience, take the job title and dip to another company after your degree is finished. No ones telling you to stay with the same company after you graduate. But 1000 housing allowance and 27k is great. Either way just get the degree and u can shift to another company later as it would still be better than going to uni.
Original post by Mikhail Bali
What GCSEs and a level grades did you receive in order to secure a contract? Also what a level subjects?

6 9s and 6 8s at GCSE, and I was predicted 3 A*s at the time of applying (Maths, English Literature, Economics).
Original post by aliziathomas
thats a great offer and i would not turn it down. Take the degree, take the work experience, take the job title and dip to another company after your degree is finished. No ones telling you to stay with the same company after you graduate. But 1000 housing allowance and 27k is great. Either way just get the degree and u can shift to another company later as it would still be better than going to uni.

Edit: Oops, sorry - just realised you were replying to someone else!

Yeah, it sounds really good - to be honest, the only downside for me are the long working hours (with a contract clause explicitly stating that I'd be expected to work overtime without extra pay if required) as well as the 25 days of holiday a year (as opposed to the months and months that university students get). My university offer is for law at either LSE (firm) or Warwick (insurance). At this point, I'm just waiting for my A-level grades to come through, since it might be the case that I don't even meet my university offers, so I'd have to take UBS anyhow. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :biggrin:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Quick and dirty comparison.

So over three years you will earn £84k with the apprenticeship. In three years doing full time university assuming you are taking the accomodation loan I expect that's going to cost you in the region of £60k plus interest. So I guess that's going to be around £150k better off with the apprenticeship. And you still get a degree. Likely your employer will let you join their pension scheme as well so you also get a 3 year head start with your pension. And we haven't even started to add the decades of interest added to the student loan. Which now only gets written off after 40 years.

Plus think of the work experience you will be getting. If they don't look after you with a decent salary when you qualify then you can look around. You will have a degree and several years relevant work experience. Employers like experience.

As long as you think you will enjoy this line of work it's a bit of a no brainer really. Of course if you subsequently don't like it you can always treat it as a job for a year. Save some money and go to uni next year with money behind you.

Yes it's hard work studying and working. And yes the social experience is going to be different. But just because you aren't at full time uni it doesn't mean you won't have a social life.
Original post by Slowprop
Quick and dirty comparison.

So over three years you will earn £84k with the apprenticeship. In three years doing full time university assuming you are taking the accomodation loan I expect that's going to cost you in the region of £60k plus interest. So I guess that's going to be around £150k better off with the apprenticeship. And you still get a degree. Likely your employer will let you join their pension scheme as well so you also get a 3 year head start with your pension. And we haven't even started to add the decades of interest added to the student loan. Which now only gets written off after 40 years.

Plus think of the work experience you will be getting. If they don't look after you with a decent salary when you qualify then you can look around. You will have a degree and several years relevant work experience. Employers like experience.

As long as you think you will enjoy this line of work it's a bit of a no brainer really. Of course if you subsequently don't like it you can always treat it as a job for a year. Save some money and go to uni next year with money behind you.

Yes it's hard work studying and working. And yes the social experience is going to be different. But just because you aren't at full time uni it doesn't mean you won't have a social life.

Yeah, the apprenticeship is a bit of a no-brainer which is why I applied to be honest. I think that might be my only option depending on my A-level results anyway, but thanks for putting the apprenticeship into perspective when comparing to university :smile:
Reply 10
No problem. A member of my family opted for a degree apprenticeship last year and therefore turned down her full time university offer. It's not the easy option. It's hard work but it's been overall a very rewarding first year.
What did you decide to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending