The Student Room Group

Is my answer still correct? (stats= hypothesis testing normal distribution) a level

Instead of doing inverse normal, I calculated the probably of sample mean being greater than 12.2 to get 6.66 x10^-6 which is smaller than 0.025 (significance level) so I concluded to reject null.Screenshot 2023-04-02 11.05.29 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-02 11.05.21 AM.png
(edited 1 year ago)
You can either calc the critical region or the cumulative probability so either should be fine. In this case 12.2 is ~4.5 std devs from the mean so its not close to the critical value whichever way you look at it.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
You can either calc the critical region or the cumulative probability so either should be fine. In this case 12.2 is ~4.5 std devs from the mean so its not close to the critical value whichever way you look at it.

Thank you! Also why cant you do X=x in normal distribution. Why can it only be greater than or less than?
Original post by leoishush
Thank you! Also why cant you do X=x in normal distribution. Why can it only be greater than or less than?

This should be in your textbook but
p(X=9.5) = 0
for a normal distribution for instance. Or put another way, there is zero probability of it being sunny for exactly 7.5234569 hrs today. However, there is maybe a 0.2 probability (20% chance) of it being sunny greater than 6 hrs.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
This should be in your textbook but
p(X=9.5) = 0
for a normal distribution for instance. Or put another way, there is zero probability of it being sunny for exactly 7.5234569 hrs today. However, there is maybe a 0.2 probability (20% chance) of it being sunny greater than 6 hrs.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest