The Student Room Group

absolutely stumped on paper 2 OCR GCSE J277

hey,

i wanna do computer science at a level, and one paper 1 and get 8s consistently but i cant manage to get above a 5 in paper 2. i just cannot wrap my head around the coding/algorithms bit. im a bit stumped on what to do
As much as I would love to berate you, I don’t have any experience with computer science nor am aware my friends’s. Though given the desolate landscape of this thread, I would like to share what I do know in there being a surfeit of free computer science courses online and that any shortcoming is conquered with hard-work.
Original post by superduper123
hey,

i wanna do computer science at a level, and one paper 1 and get 8s consistently but i cant manage to get above a 5 in paper 2. i just cannot wrap my head around the coding/algorithms bit. im a bit stumped on what to do

OK LISTEN !!! I do j277 gcse aswell and i was **** at coding but now im less **** so listen:

CODEWARS its a website.
Pick ur level as Beginner.
And only do the qs that are marked as 8 Kyu. it may be confusing but you'll figure it out.
you can search for diff tasks e.g if u want to practice arrays search for arrays.
Im doing python so i only filter out questions for python so then if ur stuck on the task other people have formed answers
Literally discovered this website this week
If it looks too hard just skip the task bc there are tonnes
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nareony
OK LISTEN !!! I do j277 gcse aswell and i was **** at coding but now im less **** so listen:

CODEWARS its a website.
Pick ur level as Beginner.
And only do the qs that are marked as 8 Kyu. it may be confusing but you'll figure it out.
you can search for diff tasks e.g if u want to practice arrays search for arrays.
Im doing python so i only filter out questions for python so then if ur stuck on the task other people have formed answers
Literally discovered this website this week
If it looks too hard just skip the task bc there are tonnes

also im sort of the opposite how do u get 8s in paper 1?
Original post by nareony
also im sort of the opposite how do u get 8s in paper 1?

im so sorry to reply so late but its just so simple, for me atleast, because its just knowing the computer parts and its just kinda fascinating. i just watch mrbrowncs videos and thats it really
Original post by superduper123
im so sorry to reply so late but its just so simple, for me atleast, because its just knowing the computer parts and its just kinda fascinating. i just watch mrbrowncs videos and thats it really

thankss
This may not be the best advice because paper 2 is naturally my best paper, but what I did when I was starting to get my head around programming was to break a couple of everyday tasks down (my computing teacher did this as well- things like making a piece of toast). For me, and the way my brain works (it absolutely won't work for everyone, it doesn't for friends), this worked really well in breaking down the steps of a problem. Other than that, doing some programming, I second the CodeWars, and W3Schools has really helped me with actual definitions of stuff in programming.

I hope that at least made vague sense!

Quick Reply

Latest