The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computer Science Paper 2 (J277/02) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your OCR GCSE Computer Science Paper 2 exam go today?

OCR GCSE Computer Science Paper 2 (J277/02) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Thursday 25th May 2023/ PM
Length: 1h 30m
Congratulations Everyone :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good day; I am a student who is taking their GCSEs (13+) a year early. This thus means that I have learnt all of my GCSE content independently and haven't actually attended lessons at all for most of my subjects I'm taking the papers for. This includes Computer Science, which actually wasn't offered to my school, but I'm taking it independently and hoping for a 9. However, I am unsure as to if all of my resources I have been using are directly reliable for the content that would come up, especially in the Computer Science category. I have been using CGP books, as well as BBC bitesize for the content side of the GCSE (P1 and P2) - There isn't a lot of revision material out there I don't think- but I still find that there are parts on the mark schemes of my practice papers that I haven't seen in either the Bitesize or other content areas? Would it be possible to let me know what the ideal resources would be to make sure EVERYTHING of the required specification is located? For the coding side of the GCSE, how do I know how in-depth the coding goes? The past papers seem to have some generally relatively easy questions, but I don't know if they always will be so easy- Thank you for your time, and good luck for your GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by E-Ronchi
Good day; I am a student who is taking their GCSEs (13+) a year early. This thus means that I have learnt all of my GCSE content independently and haven't actually attended lessons at all for most of my subjects I'm taking the papers for. This includes Computer Science, which actually wasn't offered to my school, but I'm taking it independently and hoping for a 9. However, I am unsure as to if all of my resources I have been using are directly reliable for the content that would come up, especially in the Computer Science category. I have been using CGP books, as well as BBC bitesize for the content side of the GCSE (P1 and P2) - There isn't a lot of revision material out there I don't think- but I still find that there are parts on the mark schemes of my practice papers that I haven't seen in either the Bitesize or other content areas? Would it be possible to let me know what the ideal resources would be to make sure EVERYTHING of the required specification is located? For the coding side of the GCSE, how do I know how in-depth the coding goes? The past papers seem to have some generally relatively easy questions, but I don't know if they always will be so easy- Thank you for your time, and good luck for your GCSEs.

from what i've seen, coding never goes into too much depth, all of it seems pretty easy and doable with basic knowledge. teachict and isaac computer science have good revision notes, im not sure if you need a subscription but i might be able to give you my school's login if you do
Reply 3
Hi are you able to give the log in?
Reply 4

use craig n dave on youtube as they go through the whole spec, isaac computer science and CSNewbs are both very good websites as well. good luck to you too!
Reply 5
for paper 2, will be any questions that ask you to write in pseudocode? and if so, do you have to use ocr exam reference language or can you make up your own pseudocode? ideally, can you also just write in python anyway even if it says pseudocde? bc i dont really like pseudocode tbh
Reply 6
Anyone got good websites for coding tasks/challenges
Reply 7
Original post by loik24
for paper 2, will be any questions that ask you to write in pseudocode? and if so, do you have to use ocr exam reference language or can you make up your own pseudocode? ideally, can you also just write in python anyway even if it says pseudocde? bc i dont really like pseudocode tbh

You are able to write in pseudocode/OCR Exam Reference Language or any other high-level programming language. Writing in Python is fine as it's considered a high-level programming language.

OCR don't really tend to care what language you use as long as you use it the right way.

The chances of a coding question coming up on paper 2 are very high.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by loik24

you can write in exam reference language which is their adaptation of pseudocode or just normal python / what ever language you learned cant just write in normal pseudocode they have standard of pseudocode they accept called exam reference language unfortunately
Reply 9
Hi I was forced to take this exam and i have never coded anything in my life i barely knwo what it is. Any advice please im in depserate need of help!
Original post by hi.hellooo
Hi I was forced to take this exam and i have never coded anything in my life i barely knwo what it is. Any advice please im in depserate need of help!

thats on u icl but look at pseudocode examples, don't bother with python or something atp just use logic and make it work
Reply 11
anyone else got three exams tomorrow? i got physics then comp sci and sociology at the same time but one will have to be at lunchtime
Reply 12

bro, as far as I'm concerned, the fact you are doing this means you're extremely gifted.
anyone know what to do because I have no clue I'm screwed :colonhash:
Reply 14
13 mins left, gl everyone, just know how to code and algorithmic thinking, etc.
Reply 15
This could be the hardest ocr computer science paper 2 exam ever
Original post by pri3t4iz
This could be the hardest ocr computer science paper 2 exam ever

i managed to do all question except the last one Dw, hard paper means grade boundaries will drop
Reply 17
Original post by schoolisgood123
i managed to do all question except the last one Dw, hard paper means grade boundaries will drop

True,I managed to complete my last question but some questions are wrong in my point of view or illogical
Reply 18
Wow that’s the hardest Computing exam I’ve ever done
Are you out already! How did it go today? I will add a poll in now for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending