The Student Room Group

Le Chatelier's Principle and Reversible Reactions

Hey. When increasing the concentration of one side of a reversible reaction does this mean the equilibrium will shift to the side that hasn't experienced the increase (has the lowest concentration).
Also, if the equilibrium has shifted to the right/left can you say the reaction is no longer at equilibrium.
Thank you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by convivialkiwi
Hey. When increasing the concentration of one side of a reversible reaction does this mean the equilibrium will shift to the side that hasn't experienced the increase (has the lowest concentration).
Also, if the equilibrium has shifted to the right/left can you say the reaction is no longer at equilibrium.
Thank you :smile:

Well when there is a change, the equilibrium shift left/right to achieve dynamic equilibrium once again. So no you can say its no longer in equilibrium if it has shifted left/right.
Hi,

If you change the concentration of one of the reactants in a reversible reaction at equilibrium the system (the reacting chemicals) will shift the position of equilibrium to oppose your change, so it will try and reduce the concentration of the reactants you added. It will take time to establish this new equilibrium position, depending on the reaction it could take seconds, days, weeks or longer!!
Original post by Scanjo63
Hi,

If you change the concentration of one of the reactants in a reversible reaction at equilibrium the system (the reacting chemicals) will shift the position of equilibrium to oppose your change, so it will try and reduce the concentration of the reactants you added. It will take time to establish this new equilibrium position, depending on the reaction it could take seconds, days, weeks or longer!!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by convivialkiwi
Thank you! :smile:

hii i might be wrong but i thought that if the concentration of the reactants increase than the concentration or amount of the products will also increase so that it reaches equillibrium again, because if the concentration of the products decreased then it wouldnt be in equillibrium.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by misa!!
hii i might be wrong but i thought that if the concentration of the reactants increase than the concentration or amount of the products will also increase so that it reaches equillibrium again, because if the concentration of the products decreased then it wouldnt be in equillibrium.

The system responds to restore the equilibrium. This involves the reaction moving one way or the other, depending on the change in conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest