The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

LCC media communication (and life at ual)

helloo! I'm considering to put ual media communications at LCC as my firm choice for my first year at uni and I've been frantically looking at all the pros and cons of living there for 3 years :,) I was just wondering if anyone knew any answers to these questions (apologises for it being somewhat extensive, i overthink !!)

1. Is there a freshers fair?
2. In terms of your course, do they have a seminar where they strongly encourage others to meet?
3. is it worth doing media at LCC?
4. what is student life like (disregarding london as a whole and only focusing on the college)
--> as you can see it's mainly just asking about communication. I'm nervous man :,)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
helloo! I'm considering to put ual media communications at LCC as my firm choice for my first year at uni and I've been frantically looking at all the pros and cons of living there for 3 years :,) I was just wondering if anyone knew any answers to these questions (apologises for it being somewhat extensive, i overthink !!)

1. Is there a freshers fair?
2. In terms of your course, do they have a seminar where they strongly encourage others to meet?
4. what is student life like (disregarding london as a whole and only focusing on the college)
--> as you can see it's mainly just asking about communication. I'm nervous man :,)

Hii I have an offer for media communications too!! Do you have instaa?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
wait omg YES !!!!! it's ksenyuhhh (im pretty sure i'm too lazy to check :,) )

Original post by keizz
Original post by keizz

its ksenyuhh with two y's actually !!
Reply 4

Hiii I just texted you on instaa!!
Reply 5
Hey, I graduated from UAL a few years ago and currently have a younger cousin attending.

1. Is there a freshers fair? - Yes, the uni throws a fair and the parties usually take place at Fire in Vauxhall. There are also loads of freshers parties in London and most of them (the good ones) are in Vauxhall. XOYO and fabric are good venues too. Personally, I would stay away from tiger tiger - terrible vibes. They also do wristbands where you can get into a bunch of parties for freshers week. You can also go to fresher parties for other universities if you want to meet more people and are new to the city as they dont really care if you go to their uni or not.

No, you are kinda left to your own devices on the friends front but people are friendly and they have a lot of clubs and stuff that you can sign up for to meet people. When I was at UAL they also offered temp jobs on and off campus (I worked in the library for 3 years and was also on the door for art exhibitions) it paid really well and you can meet people through these placements. There are so many different types of people at UAL, it can be cliquey but you wont have an issue making friends or meeting people. Oh and media and communications consists of a lot of collaborative/group work in the first year too!

Yes and no. Yes - Having UAL on your CV puts you within a network in the working world that is very valuable. It is amazing for networking, meeting people, working collaboratively on creative projects and the course specifically is great for learning a little bit of everything. No - If you have a specific part of media that you have interest in then you may not enjoy spending half of the term working on podcasts or pitches when you prefer learning about data analytics which are both very different but can inform each other depending on what you want to do after. Basically, it is a very broad course. Although, you do get to niche down in the 3rd year and focus on a specific topic that you will be working on for your dissertation.

- It really is what you make it. There are lots of places to hang out, the uni has a bar with a pool tables etc that a lot of people hang out in (dont forget you can visit any campus and use the facilities so make sure that you do!). Lcc is in a great area too as there are lots of bars around and places to eat and things to do.
Lots of projects which are always fun. The teachers are more like mentors and are very helpful with essays etc so make sure you always go to your meetings and go through your feedback as this is the time when you can ask all of your questions and they will give helpful tips on how to improve. The food in the canteen is good too, lots of vegan options. The university is very liberal too, if you want to stage a protest in the cafeteria or do a demonstration they probably wont stop you. In second year as part of our course we developed a visual campaign on a social issue (expensive tampons across UAL campuses) and did a demonstration during lunch in the entrance of the building and handed out flyers etc. They don't mind that stuff at all so it does make for a fun experience. There is always some exhibition or something going on at the uni too which is cool and a good way to meet people.

Overall, I think other universities could have better courses but the contacts, opportunities and student life at ual make up for it. Apologies for the length, just wanted to cover all bases lol x
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 6

Hey just sent you a follow on Insta too! From the US and I'm looking to study at UAL for Media Communications too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending