The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Jewellery design central saint martins UAL

Hello! Has anyone else applied for jewellery at UAL? How many projects are you putting in your portfolio? Is yours due February 3rd? I really want to get in!!!! If anyone is a student there already I am keen to hear your experiences! Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarahjp123
Hello! Has anyone else applied for jewellery at UAL? How many projects are you putting in your portfolio? Is yours due February 3rd? I really want to get in!!!! If anyone is a student there already I am keen to hear your experiences! Thanks xx

I'm finishing my personal statement this weekend to send off. I haven't applied before because I'm still finishing some work to put on my portfolio. I have only one work in jewellery, the rest is conceptual art/sculpture, video, installation and performance. They said on the open day that they wanted to see diverse range of work on the portfolio not only jewellery stuff
what are you putting on your portfolio?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey that sounds good, thanks for your reply, I’m putting a range of all methods of jewellery maKing in and this includes in my process some paintings too and a range of illustrations. I focused on jewellery as I’ve been studying it with UAL so have a lot I feel I should include. I’ve tried to include however in similarity with you, a range of work to show a range of skills. I’m a mature student too. They did say you don’t have to have done jewellery before so ur right about that and good idea putting a range of other work in. Good luck!! I’ve been working on it all today I’ve never used Pebblepad so let’s hope that works out for me lol. X
Hey that sounds good, thanks for your reply, I’m putting a range of all methods of jewellery maKing in and this includes in my process some paintings too and a range of illustrations. I focused on jewellery as I’ve been studying it with UAL so have a lot I feel I should include. I’ve tried to include however in similarity with you, a range of work to show a range of skills. I’m a mature student too. They did say you don’t have to have done jewellery before so ur right about that and good idea putting a range of other work in. Good luck!! I’ve been working on it all today I’ve never used Pebblepad so let’s hope that works out for me lol. X

yes im also a mature student, I know how it feels! best of luck to you! xx
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
yes im also a mature student, I know how it feels! best of luck to you! xx

Oh excellent I hope we both get in! Nice to have each other lol. Good luck lmk if you get in xx
Reply 5

I'm finishing my personal statement this weekend to send off. I haven't applied before because I'm still finishing some work to put on my portfolio. I have only one work in jewellery, the rest is conceptual art/sculpture, video, installation and performance. They said on the open day that they wanted to see diverse range of work on the portfolio not only jewellery stuff
what are you putting on your portfolio?

Hey did you hear back from CSM? X
Hey did you hear back from CSM? X
heya, I got the interview invite today, how about you?
I applied last year and got rejected (without interviews) from both CSM and LCF tho...
I think they started to send invitations just now :thumbsup:
Reply 7
I applied last year and got rejected (without interviews) from both CSM and LCF tho...

Hey omg did you!!!!! I’ve not heard anything yet, I hope I hear soon n get an interview. Did u apply for jewellery design too? Have u done the predegree? I’ve applied for that too, hope it doesn’t delay or affect my ba application x
Reply 8

Hey omg did you!!!!! I’ve not heard anything yet, I hope I hear soon n get an interview. Did u apply for jewellery design too? Have u done the predegree? I’ve applied for that too, hope it doesn’t delay or affect my ba application x

Ps congratulations!!!! When is your interview xx
Heya, last year I applied for jewellery design at csm and fashion jewellery at LCF and got straight rejection from both.
at the time I was doing a level 2 diploma in jewellery and I thought my portfolio was good enough to try and it wasn't lol. After the rejections I realized I needed a foundation if I wanted to try again. To be very honest, doing a foundation this year was really really worth it and made the difference. :flower2:
Reply 10
Heya, last year I applied for jewellery design at csm and fashion jewellery at LCF and got straight rejection from both.
at the time I was doing a level 2 diploma in jewellery and I thought my portfolio was good enough to try and it wasn't lol. After the rejections I realized I needed a foundation if I wanted to try again. To be very honest, doing a foundation this year was really really worth it and made the difference. :flower2:

Hey omg I’m doing level two jewellery design at Morley did you do that course too with Jenny? Congratulations for getting an interview this time around! R u doing ur foundation diploma with UAL?

I know what you mean tbh I do feel I have great jewellery to show but I also feel I’ve had no guidance at all not even from my teacher as to how to produce the portfolio or enough experience with the true design process that is important to understand etc, so I feel if I get on the predegree ie the diploma at UAL it would be ideal to give me that understanding and experience, rather than jumping into a degree I might not understand very well from a creative process point of view.
Hey omg I’m doing level two jewellery design at Morley did you do that course too with Jenny? Congratulations for getting an interview this time around! R u doing ur foundation diploma with UAL?
I know what you mean tbh I do feel I have great jewellery to show but I also feel I’ve had no guidance at all not even from my teacher as to how to produce the portfolio or enough experience with the true design process that is important to understand etc, so I feel if I get on the predegree ie the diploma at UAL it would be ideal to give me that understanding and experience, rather than jumping into a degree I might not understand very well from a creative process point of view.
thank you!
yes I did the level 2 at Morley as well!
I don't think a level 2 its helpful to build a portfolio, comparing with the foundation its a totally different experience.
at foundation I understood better what I was looking for at uni and tbh now I know I wasn't ready to jump from level 2 to a BA last year anyway.
im glad im doing the foundation this year, is allowing me to understand deeper different creative processes. im still studying at Morley as their foundation is a UAL as well and its up to you to take the best out of the course. most of my portfolio was made out of college (its very important to show the uni you have your own creative processes out of school projects and you are self directed) and I only included one jewellery work in there, the rest was sculptures, installations, performance and media.
also its very important to have something to say with your work, do your research, give the context (things I learned better at foundation)
did you apply to any other course or only jewellery design at csm?
Reply 12
Thanks so much this is really helpful!!! Yeah I feel level two is missing what’s required to do the degree, I make jewellery at home n create impressive things but I’ve not had any experience in developing an independent way of approaching design or the portfolio and a few people on the course don’t care at all, which means the teacher cannot be as invested in me as I’d like as she’s drawn to their questions and need for her help after not turning up for various classes etc. Also Jenny didn’t truly know what I should do for the portfolio so o literally made it up, I had no guidance. It sounds on the predegree to be ideal as although your interest is in jewellery and you’re good at it, you now have a strong portfolio of a multitude of ideas and creations of all sorts, you know how to present it and you’ve been able to develop an independence with design that goes beyond simply making interesting or beautiful jewellery. I do feel it would be ideal if i do the predegree to bridge that gap between the courses. I’m very creative but I don’t know anything really about art school or much about design n I’m 37 and was a nurse. I feel I’ve created some wonderful things but I lack certain things that I can learn if I follow the same path as yours. Thanks so much for sharing as it makes me feel better about not yet being offered an interview.

Some teachers at Morley were criticising saint martins etc for requiring ppl to do a predegree but I found their views are out of touch and overly negative, as clearly the predegree is a very important part of the whole journey, and is about developing ppl as artists, not about ‘making money’ as they suggested.

When’s your interview? Is it with sally? X
Reply 13
thank you!
yes I did the level 2 at Morley as well!
I don't think a level 2 its helpful to build a portfolio, comparing with the foundation its a totally different experience.
at foundation I understood better what I was looking for at uni and tbh now I know I wasn't ready to jump from level 2 to a BA last year anyway.
im glad im doing the foundation this year, is allowing me to understand deeper different creative processes. im still studying at Morley as their foundation is a UAL as well and its up to you to take the best out of the course. most of my portfolio was made out of college (its very important to show the uni you have your own creative processes out of school projects and you are self directed) and I only included one jewellery work in there, the rest was sculptures, installations, performance and media.
also its very important to have something to say with your work, do your research, give the context (things I learned better at foundation)
did you apply to any other course or only jewellery design at csm?

Oh sorry yes only the one course x did u apply this year for fashion jewellery too?
Oh sorry yes only the one course x did u apply this year for fashion jewellery too?
did you get any feedback from csm?
Reply 15
did you get any feedback from csm?

Hey no my interview is Friday!! When was yours have you heard back?
Hey no my interview is Friday!! When was yours have you heard back?
CONGRATS!!!! :grin:
I had mine today, 15 min, very quick.
I forgot to ask them when I will have an answer, so now I will have to wait
good luck!!!
Reply 17
CONGRATS!!!! :grin:
I had mine today, 15 min, very quick.
I forgot to ask them when I will have an answer, so now I will have to wait
good luck!!!

Ah thanks so much! I was surprised and delighted to get one. Oh cool that’s so exciting!! Was it quite easy going etc in your interview? Did they sort of imply you had a place at all? I’ll make sure I ask re the time taken to hear back. I saw for other CSM courses it can be days or weeks after the interview! X
Ah thanks so much! I was surprised and delighted to get one. Oh cool that’s so exciting!! Was it quite easy going etc in your interview? Did they sort of imply you had a place at all? I’ll make sure I ask re the time taken to hear back. I saw for other CSM courses it can be days or weeks after the interview! X

Hii congrats on your interview and goodluck! I applied for a different course however they were quite laid back and mostly had a conversation with me , it wasn’t intimidating at all if you’re used to talking about your work to people :smile: And I waited about 3 weeks for an offer , I didn’t get any hints but they said I did well when I apologised for being short on time because of my awfully slow laptop 😭🤣

They were very lovely, the interview was pretty quick (15min), pretty much they ask you to talk about your work, the idea and concepts behind what you do, so I spoke about a sculpture I made and the ideas, and why I choose that material to work with and some other details then why do you want to study jewellery, my favorite artists and why. I have no idea when I will get the feedback, they didn't imply I had a place. I got an offer from camberwell in less than 2 weeks after my interview so I guess feedback will come in 2 to 3 weeks as well.
good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending