The Student Room Group

Help! Organic chemistry

Help I don’t get how the 2nd and 3rd structure was made!!
I get the 1st by following the pattern they gave IMG_2175.jpgIMG_2176.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
The benzaldehyde has lost =O and the alkyl group(s) on the reagent loses 2 H atoms (each), forming water. Then the two Cs form C=C double bond. So, for the second reaction, C6H5CHO loses O, and CH3COOH loses 2 Hs from CH3, forming the given structure and water. The third reaction is similar, except two water molecules and 2 C=C double bonds are formed because there are 2 alkyl groups, so you would need two benzaldehyde molecules. Hope this helps! (I tried to upload an image that would help visualise it better, but it wouldn't let me)
Original post by highlandcow2
The benzaldehyde has lost =O and the alkyl group(s) on the reagent loses 2 H atoms (each), forming water. Then the two Cs form C=C double bond. So, for the second reaction, C6H5CHO loses O, and CH3COOH loses 2 Hs from CH3, forming the given structure and water. The third reaction is similar, except two water molecules and 2 C=C double bonds are formed because there are 2 alkyl groups, so you would need two benzaldehyde molecules. Hope this helps! (I tried to upload an image that would help visualise it better, but it wouldn't let me)

Hey!! I’m so sorry but I still don’t get it 😭

can u send me a link of the image through pm

Quick Reply

Latest