Bradford

Prepare for a career in the criminal justice sector

Reasons to study Criminology and Criminal Behaviour
Help your community
Change perceptions
It's fast-paced and exciting
Many career pathways
The study of crime is always evolving

Graduates will leave with critical thinking, analytical and communications skills and will be highly attractive within and outside the criminal justice sector.

"At Bradford you explore the themes of crime, harm and deviance, covering topics such as organised crime, terrorism and vulnerability, all of which have global and local implications.

"Our links with West Yorkshire Police, Youth Justice and many others are excellent sources for placements which form a vital part of your studies."

Dr Gareth Addidle on reasons to study Criminology and Criminal Behaviour.

[video="youtube;T9raW4tiuEc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9raW4tiuEc[/video]
"You see stuff and you see injustice, so for myself I wanted to help them people. To help them would benefit them and benefit myself.

"The modules can vary from 'what is crime?' to forensic psychology. I didn't know the possibilities that it was going to take me to."

This is where I tackle injustice.

Brad, BA (Hons) Criminology & Criminal Behaviour.

Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
"I'm studying Criminology and Criminal Behaviour because I feel like I could make a difference. I watch a lot of crime shows and read a lot of books. I'm really interested as to why people do what they do."

This is where I overcome my challenges.

Care leaver and student ambassador Aimee.

Criminology and Criminal Behaviour student Sasha shares her experience of her course and student life at Bradford.

My journey to studying at Bradford
I was permanently excluded from school aged 15 with no GCSE's. At the age of 16., I returned to education and began living independently. I struggled massively and found myself dropping out and never returning. This became a recurring pattern for years to come, financial and mental health issues resulted in me continuously dropping out of education.

In the end I enrolled onto a Level 3 Access to Higher Education course. Access courses are designed to get you into university.

I accepted and chose Bradford because I researched every single module and assessment method before applying and had a great interest. I also read up lecturer profiles and found their experiences very interesting. Saving money on travel was also another reason as I walk to and from uni.

Being in care was not a great place to be so I think it's nice that I can use this experience of what was one of the lowest points of my life to potentially help other students. I also found the financial support the University offer to be extremely helpful.

How have you found the experience of studying at Bradford?
I have so far had a positive experience of studying at the University of Bradford. The enrolment procedure was quick and easy and I became familiar with campus quickly. I have found the lecturers on my course to have a vast amount of personal experience of working in and doing research in the Criminal Justice System which is always very interesting to hear about.

How have you found the support available at the uni for care experienced students?
Before attending uni, I was aware that Social Services would continue to support me after 21 if I stayed in Higher Education but I did not realise being a Care Leaver would be a thing at university. It it nice that it is recognised and additional support is offered. For example, last year I applied for the role of Care Experienced Student Ambassador and did not have to go through an interview process. I found this to be extremely helpful.

What advice would you give to other care experienced students who are considering studying at uni?
I would say do not let the thought of the length of a degree put you off. Time goes so fast. I can't believe I am in my second year already. Starting university was one of the best things I have ever done for myself and I never thought I would enjoy being a student as much as I do. Nobody can take your education away from you, it's yours for life. There is so much support and so many opportunities available to care leavers, grab it all with both hands.

What is your fave thing about being a student at Bradford?
I have canoed, rock climbed, zip wired and climbed two mountains in the Yorkshire Dales. These activities I experienced through the university have had a positive effect on my mental health and given me such a confidence boost. I've also met people from all over the world such as Egypt, Russia, Portugal, Japan, Italy, Canada, Romania, Greece, Poland and Cyprus!

Sasha-2-1-459x390 (1).jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending