The Student Room Group

Balancing Modules (september-janurary vs january-june)

TL;DR should I keep my 70-50 credit split or balance the workload as recommended - I have seen 1 other answer to this before, but really I'd like some more feedback, if possible.
I'm a 2nd year criminology student and have selected my chosen modules to be a 4:3 balance of modules - and now I've received an email of concern about it.
My september-janurary modules are 20,20,20,10 credits and my january-june is 20, 20, 10 credits. Really, I kind of prefer the *look* of this as my first year definitely showed how much burnout I'd get at the end of the year (and considering my April's are basically unavailable to do university work...).
Plus the suggestion they are giving is literally replacing two modules I feel like are new and interesting to me, to one I've been just about wrung dry on (it had heavy emphasis in my A-levels, too, which means I'm good at it! but the drone of theory I've heard a million times is killing me)
For anyone curious it is replacing Leadership management in Social Justice and The Criminal State: International Social Justice with Media, Crime & Criminal Justice

I'd like some help on whether it's worth biting the bullet and balance the modules, or keeping what I've chosen.
Obviously, any insight into whether the Media, Crime and Criminal Justice module is as monotonous as I think it will be is appreciated - though I don't expect it.
Original post by shortinpractice
TL;DR should I keep my 70-50 credit split or balance the workload as recommended - I have seen 1 other answer to this before, but really I'd like some more feedback, if possible.
I'm a 2nd year criminology student and have selected my chosen modules to be a 4:3 balance of modules - and now I've received an email of concern about it.
My september-janurary modules are 20,20,20,10 credits and my january-june is 20, 20, 10 credits. Really, I kind of prefer the *look* of this as my first year definitely showed how much burnout I'd get at the end of the year (and considering my April's are basically unavailable to do university work...).
Plus the suggestion they are giving is literally replacing two modules I feel like are new and interesting to me, to one I've been just about wrung dry on (it had heavy emphasis in my A-levels, too, which means I'm good at it! but the drone of theory I've heard a million times is killing me)
For anyone curious it is replacing Leadership management in Social Justice and The Criminal State: International Social Justice with Media, Crime & Criminal Justice

I'd like some help on whether it's worth biting the bullet and balance the modules, or keeping what I've chosen.
Obviously, any insight into whether the Media, Crime and Criminal Justice module is as monotonous as I think it will be is appreciated - though I don't expect it.

Hey!

I did a module at Lancaster this year called Crime and Media and I did find it really interesting and it was so up to date. With regards to balancing modules, there a few things to consider. For me, if I knew I could keep up with the work load of having a heavier term, and I really was more interested in those modules, I would probably stick with what you've got. I found that being interested in the module was so key to motivating me to do the work for it, and made it easier. One thing to also look at is the assessment method, as it could be a lot of work if they are all essay based etc. You can always try and do some prereading this summer to prepare as well if possible.

Hope that helps
Kat
Thanks! this is definitely more helpful than the answer I found previously. I'll take this into consideration!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey!

I did a module at Lancaster this year called Crime and Media and I did find it really interesting and it was so up to date. With regards to balancing modules, there a few things to consider. For me, if I knew I could keep up with the work load of having a heavier term, and I really was more interested in those modules, I would probably stick with what you've got. I found that being interested in the module was so key to motivating me to do the work for it, and made it easier. One thing to also look at is the assessment method, as it could be a lot of work if they are all essay based etc. You can always try and do some prereading this summer to prepare as well if possible.

Hope that helps
Kat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending