The Student Room Group

Career opportunities in psychology after masters

I have an undergraduate degree that is not BPS accredited. I am currently about to start with my master's in Forensic Psychology and Mental Health and this course is BPS accredited. Since my undergraduate degree is not recognized, what are my career opportunities in psychology in the UK?
Reply 1
Original post by Amara555
I have an undergraduate degree that is not BPS accredited. I am currently about to start with my master's in Forensic Psychology and Mental Health and this course is BPS accredited. Since my undergraduate degree is not recognized, what are my career opportunities in psychology in the UK?

While having a BPS (British Psychological Society) accredited undergraduate degree is generally advantageous for pursuing a career in psychology in the UK, it's important to note that it's not the only pathway. Here are some potential career opportunities in psychology for individuals with a non-accredited undergraduate degree:

Non-Chartered Psychologist Roles: Many roles in psychology do not require BPS accreditation. These may include assistant psychologist positions, research roles, or roles in mental health support services. While these positions may have limitations in terms of autonomy and professional recognition, they still provide valuable experience and can be a stepping stone towards further career development.

Conversion Courses: Since you are starting a BPS accredited master's program in Forensic Psychology and Mental Health, this can be a significant step towards a career in psychology. Completion of a BPS accredited master's degree can help fulfill the academic requirements for further professional training or accreditation, such as becoming a Chartered Psychologist or applying for doctoral programs.

Further Professional Training: After completing your master's degree, you may consider pursuing additional professional training or specialized courses that are recognized by relevant professional bodies. This can help enhance your skills and knowledge in specific areas of psychology and increase your employability.

Alternative Psychology Career Paths: Depending on your interests and the specific focus of your master's program, you may explore alternative career paths within the broader field of psychology. This could include roles in forensic settings, criminal justice, mental health advocacy, research, or policy development.

Transferable Skills: It's essential to recognize that psychology graduates possess a range of transferable skills that are highly valued in various sectors. These skills include critical thinking, research and data analysis, communication, problem-solving, and empathy. You can explore roles in areas such as human resources, social services, education, market research, or healthcare administration, leveraging your psychological knowledge and skills.

While BPS accreditation can be advantageous for certain career paths, it's not the sole determining factor for success in the field of psychology. Focus on gaining relevant experience, networking, and continually developing your knowledge and skills through further education and professional development opportunities. It's also recommended to stay informed about the requirements and regulations of specific job roles or professional bodies to ensure you meet the necessary criteria.
As far as I'm aware, you'll still be able to complete Stage 2 training in psychology as long as your masters degree is accredited by the BPS
This suggests that to be a forensic psych you do need an accredited undergrad or conversion course in addition to the accredited masters and stage 2 qual: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/psychology/undergraduate/careers/career_opportunities/forensic_qualifications.page
Original post by professor.
While having a BPS (British Psychological Society) accredited undergraduate degree is generally advantageous for pursuing a career in psychology in the UK, it's important to note that it's not the only pathway. Here are some potential career opportunities in psychology for individuals with a non-accredited undergraduate degree:

Non-Chartered Psychologist Roles: Many roles in psychology do not require BPS accreditation. These may include assistant psychologist positions, research roles, or roles in mental health support services. While these positions may have limitations in terms of autonomy and professional recognition, they still provide valuable experience and can be a stepping stone towards further career development.

Conversion Courses: Since you are starting a BPS accredited master's program in Forensic Psychology and Mental Health, this can be a significant step towards a career in psychology. Completion of a BPS accredited master's degree can help fulfill the academic requirements for further professional training or accreditation, such as becoming a Chartered Psychologist or applying for doctoral programs.

Further Professional Training: After completing your master's degree, you may consider pursuing additional professional training or specialized courses that are recognized by relevant professional bodies. This can help enhance your skills and knowledge in specific areas of psychology and increase your employability.

Alternative Psychology Career Paths: Depending on your interests and the specific focus of your master's program, you may explore alternative career paths within the broader field of psychology. This could include roles in forensic settings, criminal justice, mental health advocacy, research, or policy development.

Transferable Skills: It's essential to recognize that psychology graduates possess a range of transferable skills that are highly valued in various sectors. These skills include critical thinking, research and data analysis, communication, problem-solving, and empathy. You can explore roles in areas such as human resources, social services, education, market research, or healthcare administration, leveraging your psychological knowledge and skills.

While BPS accreditation can be advantageous for certain career paths, it's not the sole determining factor for success in the field of psychology. Focus on gaining relevant experience, networking, and continually developing your knowledge and skills through further education and professional development opportunities. It's also recommended to stay informed about the requirements and regulations of specific job roles or professional bodies to ensure you meet the necessary criteria.

This reads a bit like a ChatGPT answer and misses several points and glosses over a lot. For example, the vast majority of Assistant Psychologists positions will require a BPS degree, especially in settings like the NHS where it is part of the job description. Those further professional courses it mentions will often require a BPS degree too or another existing set of pre-requisites.

It also ignores the more immediately applicable types of roles that psychology graduates overlook, those that focus on statistics and data, which is a mandatory requirement of most psychology degrees. The reason why a lot of psychology grads gravitate towards support and non-grad jobs is becuase they are going towards the "main" clinical or educational psychology adjunct jobs. However, there are lucrative and immediately available roles that require some exploration, or knowledge of the specific grad schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest