The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to imperial?

Hi,

I’m currently in my gap year, where I’m working as an intern in an engineering firm, and I am planning to go to Uni next year to do Aerospace engineering, or if I for whatever reason have a stroke and give up on aero in the next few months, civil or even worse economics. I got A*AAB in maths physics chemistry and further maths, and I was going to apply to Imperial, Manchester, Bath, Bristol and Leeds. I’m confident I will get into the latter 4, if so i will need to decide between Manchester and Bath. But I’m currently weighing up whether I will even have a chance to get into Imperial, given requirements are A*AAA. I’ve heard previously that considering I already have the grades I might still have a chance. Wanted to know how much bs that is.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Original post by 7BzeTh
Hi,

I’m currently in my gap year, where I’m working as an intern in an engineering firm, and I am planning to go to Uni next year to do Aerospace engineering, or if I for whatever reason have a stroke and give up on aero in the next few months, civil or even worse economics. I got A*AAB in maths physics chemistry and further maths, and I was going to apply to Imperial, Manchester, Bath, Bristol and Leeds. I’m confident I will get into the latter 4, if so i will need to decide between Manchester and Bath. But I’m currently weighing up whether I will even have a chance to get into Imperial, given requirements are A*AAA. I’ve heard previously that considering I already have the grades I might still have a chance. Wanted to know how much bs that is.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Take a look at their recent admission statistics (an Excel spreadsheet). If you look at the "New entrants achieved grades" tab, you can see how many new entrants there were in each of the last four years in the Department of Aeronautics, by achieved grades. For 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 entry there was not a single new entrant with A*AAB. For 2020 entry the number was between 1 and 5 (and has therefore been listed as *). Your odds are not good, it would seem. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest