The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Knitting workshops at Kingston!

If you didn’t already know, Kingston School of Arts has an open access workshop booking system in place. This means that a fashion student like myself can make a booking at the 3D metal workshop while a product design student who is working with textiles can book a consultation in the sewing or knit workshops!
With that in mind, here is a closer look at the knit facilities here at Kingston School of Arts! :smile:

Domestic vs Industrial knit machines!?
In the first year as a BA fashion student, you will learn how to create samples using the single flat bed domestic knit machines! These domestic knit machines are pretty straightforward to use once you get the hang of it but do not worry as our skilled technician will be there to guide you along the way! As for the industrial double bed knit machines, it is only in the 2nd and final year where you will learn how to knit with them if you choose to continue with knitwear throughout the course! Compared to the flatbed domestic, the industrial knit machines are a bit more complicated and are able to knit different sizes of ribbing due to its double bed and varied needle sizes.

Free yarn!
Due to industry sponsorships, all of the yarn located within the Kingston knit workshops are all free for students to experiment and use! However, if your project requires a specific yarn or material, you will be required to buy your own spool. :colondollar:

Digital knit machine!
The knit workshops also include a digital knit machine managed by a technician which is able to knit up to 28 colours on a single piece of knit! However, due to the complicated process, you will only be taught how to design for it, with the technician handling the process programming and execution. :h:

Because knitting can be very technical, students from outside the fashion course will need to book a consultation with a technician before using the machines. :wink:

Want to find out more about the facilities at Kingston University?
Interested in exploring the possibilities of knitwear?
Feel free to drop down your questions below and I will try my best to answer them!

Zhi En (BA Fashion)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending